Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: LEGO NXT Panobot - It's Alive!

  • Bernhard Vogl
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 2, 2007
      Stephan Hegel schrieb:
      > What's the key point here: stability and stiffness of the Lego plastic
      > parts or the power of the servo motors ?
      > And: how do you operate the camera's trigger ?

      Hello Stephan,

      The motors are surprisingly strong (see more information on Philo's
      excellent website: http://www.philohome.com/nxtmotor/nxtmotor.htm ).
      The other parts and (also the plastic toothed gears) are not really
      suitable for a "real" camera. (I have choosen the L2 for my experiments
      because it is very lightweight (~200 grams), and still offers a decent
      image quality through its low (50) ISO ratings.)
      There are 3 motors in the NXT starter box: One is used for pan, one for
      tilt and one simulates your finger, pressing the shutter button. The
      "finger" is a extension Lego brick directly attached to the motor. The
      motor's power can be controlled exact enough to even simulate the 2-step
      shutter operations (e.g. "AF" and "shutter").

      Meanwhile i also bought a compatible mobile phone (there's a remote
      control software for mobiles on the Lego website) and i am exalted by
      the expanded possibilities this little gem offers: You can remote
      control pan, tilt and shutter function "out of the box" - and of course
      you can write your own software responding to user defined input. This,
      is what i'll do next... :-)

      Best regards
      Bernhard