Oculus Rift for panoramic videos etc

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2013
      There is quite a lot of interest on Oculus Rift forums for getting panoramas and panoramic videos working on the Rift HMD
      http://oculusrift.com/

      I havent got a Rift yet but have been reading up on the specs and tools that are emerging for people with the Developer units which have been shipping for a few weeks ($300).

      VRPlayer can play back a variety of video and panoramic formats
      http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/
      I have worked out it will playback stereo panoramas if you do the following -- start with a 360/180 equirectangular pair, resize each to half the original width. Place each square image side by side (L to the left, etc). Save. Open with VRPlayer.

      Under the Media menu item -- set Format to Side by Side, Projection to Sphere, Effect to None.

      Under the Display menu item, set Layout to Side by Side, Distortion to Barrel Distortion.

      Soon, or maybe now, it will support tracking as well as mouse interaction.

      About stereo videos for the Rift --
      the Rift format for videos is unsqueezed side by side, full frame fisheye videos, 90 degrees wide, 110 degrees high. Frame dimension is 1280 by 800. So each component video has to be 640 by 800. A Gopro Hero 2 shoots video (in vertical format) very close to this in one mode viz. 720p 48fps where the frames are 88 degrees wide, 118 degrees high. So with a bit of vertical cropping they will work (once aligned) directly with the Rift I think.

      There is a lot of interest on the forums for using 360 videos (non-stereo) with the Rift

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
        The head tracking is working now for the VR Player viewer for the Oculus Rift -- the developer says, and he added improvements recently for better visual quality in the viewer.

        Regular 360/180 stereo pairs work well -- but with the usual issue with interactive stereo panorama viewers of rendering bad stereo alignment with ultrawide and or very tilted views. However there is another mode for stereo panoramas in VR Player where you use just a single 360 panorama and a depth map for the panorama. This gives much better alignment with interactive viewing --

        You have the problem though with real world panoramas of how to make the depth map (not a problem if you are rendering the 360 image from a 3d program -- Maya etc). Lately I have been looking at depth map conversion from real world images for stereo conversion and have had some promising results I think with the demo version of a program called @depth from Dimenco (and Photoshop). Here is a panorama with its depth map I made from a stereo pair of panoramas
        http://www.mediavr.com/chinesegardensbsmap.jpg
        This works pretty well in the 360 depth map mode of VRPlayer

        see:
        https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=112&hilit=vrplayer&start=20#p7889 (the recent post by mediavr)
        for settings for VR Player

        For CG rendered panoramas particularly I think this image/depth map format will be a very popular content type for HMDs -- think stereo Myst

        PeterM