New/Old Approach to panoramic videos

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17 2:38 AM
      One Japanese newspaper just ran an article on a new system for taking panoramic videos. It is a joint venture between two companies active in lens design and a software development office. The concept is to use two back-to-back fisheye lenses with 185-degree fields of view. The lenses are mounted on an assembly that forms the head of a video camera. The lenses are on either side of the camera head, so it looks for all the world like a bug-eyed monster. A rather small "monster" of course.

      The synchronized data stream is stitched automatically into seamless images that can be streamed over an Internet connection. This can be done in real time, not necessarily by a separate stage of post processing. The video can therefore be viewed, panned, and zoomed either as the entire 360 x 180 degree scene is being recorded, or again later by replaying the recording.

      The applications are pretty obvious, so I'll skip those, but I am already asking one of the lead developers to confirm what I thought was the most interesting remark in the article, i.e., that the images could have 4K resolution. That is quite high enough to enable rectilinear images with viable resolution for web display use to be extracted from the video stream. I can imagine having a lot of fun with that. And of course it would be ideal for tours, where one could peer in any or all directions while the video plays and pause for closeups at will. Nice.

      The mention of 4K resolution suggests that the device(s) may come with a high price tag, and require rather high bandwidth, but the concept is certainly attractive. Perhaps a consumer version for HD and a pro version for 4K? This is not impossible, as the three cooperating companies are planning to offer the entire package to a camera manufacturer "serving consumer and/or professional users" according to the article.

      I have no financial interest in nor connection with this project although I should perhaps say that I would very much enjoy helping them write publicity for it!

      Roger W

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17 3:03 PM
        Am 17.04.2013 11:38, schrieb Roger D Williams:
        > That is quite high enough to enable rectilinear images with viable
        > resolution for web display use to be extracted from the video
        > stream.

        I wouldn't be too optimistic: 4k means the shorter side has about 2300
        pixels. Since the fisheye image needs to be circular this is the maximum
        diameter of the image circle. We can assume the images will have about
        2000 pixels per 180° giving a maximum equirect size of 4000x2000 pixels
        or a pixel density of 11.1 px/degree.

        The classical 50mm standard lens on a full frame camera delivers 39°x26°
        angles of view. That would give images with roughly 430x280px.

        For wider angles you get more pixels, but not the full amount because of
        the perspective distortion which causes pixel stretching outside the
        middle. A 90° extracted image will have 900px (instead of 1000), a super
        wide 120° extracted image (which will suffer from severe perspective
        distortion) will have 1100px (instead of 1333).

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18 3:23 AM
          Ah yes, I see. Only 2,300? But the way it is described, the 4K is the size of the equirectangular image output, which is a rather different kettle of fish, no?

          Roger

          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18 7:50 AM
            Am 18.04.2013 12:23, schrieb Roger D Williams:
            > Ah yes, I see. Only 2,300? But the way it is described, the 4K is the
            > size of the equirectangular image output, which is a rather different
            > kettle of fish, no?

            Yes, since the equirect consists of two fisheye images each one covering
            180°with 2000px in diameter the equirect will have 4000x2000px.

          • Adrien Fontvielle
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22 5:27 AM
              High Roger,
              do you have a link to this article/company?
              Best regards,
              Adrien

              Adrien Fontvielle

              2013/4/18 Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>
              Am 18.04.2013 12:23, schrieb Roger D Williams:
              > Ah yes, I see. Only 2,300? But the way it is described, the 4K is the
              > size of the equirectangular image output, which is a rather different
              > kettle of fish, no?

              Yes, since the equirect consists of two fisheye images each one covering
              180°with 2000px in diameter the equirect will have 4000x2000px.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 22 5:59 AM
                Only to a photograph of the original Japanese article. If that would be any
                help I can look it up, but it was not easy for me to read and I have been a
                translator from Japanese for most of my working life!

                Roger

                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net