Re: [PanoToolsNG] Any one using the Nikon 16-35 VR ??

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2013
      On 14 Apr 2013, at 21:53, AlanB <scoundrel1728@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "montana_jimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi , I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.. I am curious if anyone is using the 16-24 f/4 VR lens succesfully and could elaborate a bit.. If it's not that great recomendations woudld be appreciated.. I'm after a wide zoom that would do a fairly good job and be sharp..
      >
      > I have never used that particular lens model, so I have no idea how well it works optically aside from the VR feature. However, the VR feature is largely ineffective below a shutter speed of 1/8 second

      What VR (or IS) features do is help counteract slight unsteadiness when shooting hand-held at relatively slow shutter speeds. It give you one or possibly two more steps on the shutter speed scale.

      There's an old, crude rule of thumb regarding the normal lowest shutter speed for hand-held shooting; the fraction of a second that's the same or just under the focal length. So, for a 50mm lens, start being extra careful when shooting at speeds below 1/30 sec unless you have VR. A 200mm lens (or zoom at that length) will probably show the effects of hand shake at speeds under 1/200 sec, but with VR you'd be relatively ok down to around 1/60 sec. A 16mm wide angle lens will be fine for hand-holding down to 1/15 sec without VR, but with VR you should have slight camera shake counteracted at shutter speeds down to 1/8 and even 1/4 sec.

      But of course this has nothing to do with motion blur from moving subjects – just camera shake. And if you're shooting at speeds of 1/15 or slower then subject movement will start to become a regular issue. This is why VR is more generally useful with longer focal lengths; you'll generally be shooting fast enough to capture ordinary movement already.

      So VR in the 16-24mm focal area is not useless, but you'd need to consider what kind of subjects you'll be shooting, whether you'd be using those 1/4 or 1/8 shutter speeds when handheld, and whether your subjects would be slow or still enough to avoid blurring anyway.

    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2013
        FYI: I just got the Nikon 18-35mm ED (which has no VR and is considerably cheaper). Haven't used it for VR yet, but from my first test shots I can tell the lens is very sharp, handling is great, and snaps into focus super-fast. It has f3.5 at the widest setting, vignetting is visible but not horrible.

        Blochi