Any one using the Nikon 16-35 VR ??

  • montana_jimbo
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13 9:12 AM
      Hi , I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.. I am curious if anyone is using the 16-24 f/4 VR lens succesfully and could elaborate a bit.. If it's not that great recomendations woudld be appreciated.. I'm after a wide zoom that would do a fairly good job and be sharp..
      Thanks / Jimbo
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13 9:43 AM
        Jimbo,

        It is a lens with low results from DXO tests

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

        "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

        On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM, montana_jimbo <mrjimbo@...> wrote:
        Hi , I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.. I am curious if anyone is using the 16-35 f/4 VR lens succesfully and could elaborate a bit.. If it's not that great recomendations woudld be appreciated.. I'm after a wide zoom that would do a fairly good job and be sharp..
        Thanks / Jimbo

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • AlanB
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14 1:53 PM
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "montana_jimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:

          > Hi , I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.. I am curious if anyone is using the 16-24 f/4 VR lens succesfully and could elaborate a bit.. If it's not that great recomendations woudld be appreciated.. I'm after a wide zoom that would do a fairly good job and be sharp..

          I have never used that particular lens model, so I have no idea how well it works optically aside from the VR feature. However, the VR feature is largely ineffective below a shutter speed of 1/8 second and, because of the low image magnification at short focal lengths, images from wide-angle lenses suffer proportionately less than longer lenses from motion blur. For this reason, I would rate the advantage of the VR feature as marginal for a lens in this focal length range.

          scoundrel1728
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15 1:12 PM
            On 14 Apr 2013, at 21:53, AlanB <scoundrel1728@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "montana_jimbo" <mrjimbo@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi , I tried a search and didn't come up with anything.. I am curious if anyone is using the 16-24 f/4 VR lens succesfully and could elaborate a bit.. If it's not that great recomendations woudld be appreciated.. I'm after a wide zoom that would do a fairly good job and be sharp..
            >
            > I have never used that particular lens model, so I have no idea how well it works optically aside from the VR feature. However, the VR feature is largely ineffective below a shutter speed of 1/8 second

            What VR (or IS) features do is help counteract slight unsteadiness when shooting hand-held at relatively slow shutter speeds. It give you one or possibly two more steps on the shutter speed scale.

            There's an old, crude rule of thumb regarding the normal lowest shutter speed for hand-held shooting; the fraction of a second that's the same or just under the focal length. So, for a 50mm lens, start being extra careful when shooting at speeds below 1/30 sec unless you have VR. A 200mm lens (or zoom at that length) will probably show the effects of hand shake at speeds under 1/200 sec, but with VR you'd be relatively ok down to around 1/60 sec. A 16mm wide angle lens will be fine for hand-holding down to 1/15 sec without VR, but with VR you should have slight camera shake counteracted at shutter speeds down to 1/8 and even 1/4 sec.

            But of course this has nothing to do with motion blur from moving subjects – just camera shake. And if you're shooting at speeds of 1/15 or slower then subject movement will start to become a regular issue. This is why VR is more generally useful with longer focal lengths; you'll generally be shooting fast enough to capture ordinary movement already.

            So VR in the 16-24mm focal area is not useless, but you'd need to consider what kind of subjects you'll be shooting, whether you'd be using those 1/4 or 1/8 shutter speeds when handheld, and whether your subjects would be slow or still enough to avoid blurring anyway.

          • Christian Bloch
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16 7:17 AM
              FYI: I just got the Nikon 18-35mm ED (which has no VR and is considerably cheaper). Haven't used it for VR yet, but from my first test shots I can tell the lens is very sharp, handling is great, and snaps into focus super-fast. It has f3.5 at the widest setting, vignetting is visible but not horrible.

              Blochi