Re: USB over TCP/IP

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
      Am 08.04.2013 21:41, schrieb Jean-Marc Paratte:
      > Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the
      > storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera.
      > What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote
      > shutter with a lot of sensors.

      In fact there are even more possibilities. Especially full remote
      control via Android devices:
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
      See: Android apps direct USB control

      I think Luca is well aware of this, since he contributed to the wiki
      article...

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
        I was thinking about, but I need a very stable out of the box thing, and I'm not able to fiddle about with linux...
        :-)

        Helmut Dersch wrote about a "LAN/WLAN Interface for Digital Cameras" in 2005:
        http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/gphoto/remote.html

        How about that idea?

        Carl

      • Luca Vascon
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
          THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY!!!
          :-)
          Yess, I was looking for:
          USB EXTENDER. It is an amplifier that boosts usb signal to usb port through RJ45 cable.
          This solution is expensive for usb2.0, less expensive for usb1.0. I'd use a cat6 cable. From 30-40 euros to 250-350.
          But it is clean and transparent.
          USB OVER IP is a microcontroller, like a small computer that takes usb signal and envelopes it under a TCP/IP protocol. It is only one element, the other element is a software, unwrapping things inside your PC. It is less clean and less transparent. Costs may vary, from 100 to 350 euros.
          I'm still thinking I'd better to throw in a pair of old laptops.
          But a won a cheap auction of a dlink usb-over tcp/ip to give it a try!
          ;-)