Re: USB over TCP/IP

  • cvoneinem
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
      Helmut Dersch wrote about a "LAN/WLAN Interface for Digital Cameras" in 2005:
      http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/gphoto/remote.html

      How about that idea?

      Carl

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo Hoeben" wrote:

      > Spoke a little too soon... The bb-elec product actually looks
      > like it works specifically over IP, which is more an exception
      > than the rule. Looks like it may support a limited selection
      > of devices though, because the devices will not connect
      > directly to your computer but instead they will be connected
      > to an embedded microcontroller on the "hub".

    • Jean-Marc Paratte
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
        The bb-elec product is a true USB bridge over IP protocol, not simply an extended USB cable with a RJ-45 cable.
        This product can be integrated in a network, not the other low cost solutions.
        In my opinion, I think this could be a perfect solution but need to be verified...

        jmP

        Le 07.04.2013 18:57, Jean-Marc Paratte a écrit :

        Hi Luca,

        Here is a true "USB over Ethernet Hub" operating with USB 2.0 :
        http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Over-Ethernet/USB-Over-Ethernet.aspx

        jmP

        Le 06.04.2013 14:32, Luca Vascon a écrit :

        I'm in the situation I need to remote from a remoted remote....
        :-D
        Ok, it is more than 100m and I need to tether a Canon camera competely.
        I was wandering if any of you ever tried a USB over network solution.
        There are many things like USB"claimed" 2.0 4 ports hubs that connect over network to a RJ45. None of these being wireless...
        The claim is that you plug the thing on a network and you will be able to see whatever USB you plug as an USB resource.

        My backup solution is to put a small old laptop or netbook on every remoted camera and connect there with VNC.

        Am I the first who tries?!

        --
        Luca Vascon.

    • Jean-Marc Paratte
      Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
        Hi Carl,

        This 2005 idea is like an "intervalometer" coupled with a storage. As sayed by Luca, he can use a 2013 low cost laptop to do the same, and use a VNC software to remote control the camera.

        Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera. What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote shutter with a lot of sensors.

        jmP

        Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
          Am 08.04.2013 21:41, schrieb Jean-Marc Paratte:
          > Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the
          > storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera.
          > What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote
          > shutter with a lot of sensors.

          In fact there are even more possibilities. Especially full remote
          control via Android devices:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
          See: Android apps direct USB control

          I think Luca is well aware of this, since he contributed to the wiki
          article...

        • Luca Vascon

            Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
              THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY!!!
              :-)
              Yess, I was looking for:
              USB EXTENDER. It is an amplifier that boosts usb signal to usb port through RJ45 cable.
              This solution is expensive for usb2.0, less expensive for usb1.0. I'd use a cat6 cable. From 30-40 euros to 250-350.
              But it is clean and transparent.
              USB OVER IP is a microcontroller, like a small computer that takes usb signal and envelopes it under a TCP/IP protocol. It is only one element, the other element is a software, unwrapping things inside your PC. It is less clean and less transparent. Costs may vary, from 100 to 350 euros.
              I'm still thinking I'd better to throw in a pair of old laptops.
              But a won a cheap auction of a dlink usb-over tcp/ip to give it a try!
              ;-)