Restrictions on photography of buildings and monument -- an international survey

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2013
      This is an interesting legal paper (2010) on building and monument photography issues. (There is a link to the pdf) It is actually entitled
      "Freedom of Panorama: A Comparative Look at International Restrictions on Public Photography" -- but "panorama" here just means wide angle views in public spaces here I think.

      There are a couple of amusing (I think) stories of what has caused legal strife. Hollywood blew up the giant statue of Jesus Christ in Rio de Janiero (virtually, for a movie) and the local church objected on copyright grounds. "In fact, the Archdiocese claimed it rarely refuses licensing requests, but objected to the film‟s treatment of the statue—utter destruction."

      The Eiffel Tower has new copyrighted lighting now so you can make money from pictures with it view during the day, but not at night now!

      PeterM
    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2013
        link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1709530