Re: [PanoToolsNG] USB over TCP/IP

  • Jean-Marc Paratte
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2013
      Hi Luca,

      Here is a true "USB over Ethernet Hub" operating with USB 2.0 :
      http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Over-Ethernet/USB-Over-Ethernet.aspx

      jmP

      Le 06.04.2013 14:32, Luca Vascon a écrit :

      I'm in the situation I need to remote from a remoted remote....
      :-D
      Ok, it is more than 100m and I need to tether a Canon camera competely.
      I was wandering if any of you ever tried a USB over network solution.
      There are many things like USB"claimed" 2.0 4 ports hubs that connect over network to a RJ45. None of these being wireless...
      The claim is that you plug the thing on a network and you will be able to see whatever USB you plug as an USB resource.

      My backup solution is to put a small old laptop or netbook on every remoted camera and connect there with VNC.

      Am I the first who tries?!

      --
      Luca Vascon.

    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2013
        Yep!
        I found many brands... But did you ever tried one? They go fro 70 to 350 euros... I can find a laptop for 280, something more than a netbook, so I'm still not able to decide...
        :-/
      • Aldo Hoeben
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
          Note that this is USB over Cat5 (or Cat5e, or Cat6), which is not the same as USB over TCP/IP. These products basically amplify the USB signals and push them over the wires of a cable-that-you-could-also-use-for-networking. It is very likely that you can not run the USB signals and network traffic over the same cable concurrently, and things like routers or hubs will not work to distribute the USB signals.

          These products work, as long as you use decent cables. But depending on your needs I would go with a Raspberry PI or Arduino close to the camera.
        • Aldo Hoeben
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
            Spoke a little too soon... The bb-elec product actually looks like it works specifically over IP, which is more an exception than the rule. Looks like it may support a limited selection of devices though, because the devices will not connect directly to your computer but instead they will be connected to an embedded microcontroller on the "hub".
          • cvoneinem
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
              Helmut Dersch wrote about a "LAN/WLAN Interface for Digital Cameras" in 2005:
              http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/gphoto/remote.html

              How about that idea?

              Carl

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
                The bb-elec product is a true USB bridge over IP protocol, not simply an extended USB cable with a RJ-45 cable.
                This product can be integrated in a network, not the other low cost solutions.
                In my opinion, I think this could be a perfect solution but need to be verified...

                jmP

              Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
                Hi Carl,

                This 2005 idea is like an "intervalometer" coupled with a storage. As sayed by Luca, he can use a 2013 low cost laptop to do the same, and use a VNC software to remote control the camera.

                Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera. What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote shutter with a lot of sensors.

                jmP

                Message 8 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Am 08.04.2013 21:41, schrieb Jean-Marc Paratte:
                  > Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the
                  > storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera.
                  > What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote
                  > shutter with a lot of sensors.

                  In fact there are even more possibilities. Especially full remote
                  control via Android devices:
                  http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                  See: Android apps direct USB control

                  I think Luca is well aware of this, since he contributed to the wiki
                  article...

                • Luca Vascon

                    Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
                      THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY!!!
                      :-)
                      Yess, I was looking for:
                      USB EXTENDER. It is an amplifier that boosts usb signal to usb port through RJ45 cable.
                      This solution is expensive for usb2.0, less expensive for usb1.0. I'd use a cat6 cable. From 30-40 euros to 250-350.
                      But it is clean and transparent.
                      USB OVER IP is a microcontroller, like a small computer that takes usb signal and envelopes it under a TCP/IP protocol. It is only one element, the other element is a software, unwrapping things inside your PC. It is less clean and less transparent. Costs may vary, from 100 to 350 euros.
                      I'm still thinking I'd better to throw in a pair of old laptops.
                      But a won a cheap auction of a dlink usb-over tcp/ip to give it a try!
                      ;-)