Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Which should be smaller, Nadir or Zenith?

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2013
      On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 09:59:07 +0900, panovrx <mediavr@...> wrote:

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> nononono, less photoshop and more ptgui!
      >> Erik system is also mine!!
      >
      > I am a fan of Superrune. Doesnt the PTGui template method require more
      > steps if you want to tweak the angle of the extracted nadir/zenith? But
      > maybe PTGui has a quality edge

      Me too, Peter. I wouldn't be using anything else if it still worked
      reliably for me. The PTgui template method, once you have the template,
      is almost as simple. If you use John Houghton's approach as described
      in his PDF, you can select precisely the angle and area you want to
      work on, but it is less automatic. You have to note the pitch, etc.,
      and make sure you use the same values in extracting and combining the
      images.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
    • John Houghton
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
        > If you use John Houghton's approach as described
        > in his PDF, you can select precisely the angle and area you want to
        > work on, but it is less automatic.

        The PDF tutorial referred to here was dashed off for Roger with his acknowledged limited PTGui skills in mind. I have uploaded it here:

        http://www.johnhpanos.com/nadir-edit.pdf

        John
      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
          Update.

          I find that the nadir is rather uncomfortably big even when I point the camera/lens down by a full 15 degrees, but that I can cover the even larger zenith quite comfortably with three shots at an elevation of 60 degrees (120 degrees apart). As zenith shots are simple and quick to take, and align nicely with the six around, this seems an improvement on trying to get a good nadir shot that will cover a much larger hole.

          On the other hand, I am not totally happy with PS content-aware fill. It is not anywhere near as awful as it was, but still far from perfect.

          So when floors are flat I'll probably take advantage of the perspective change function and just tilt the camera/tripod/monopod/panorama-head assembly. And who knows, with practice I may be able to make better use of the NN nadir thingy.

          But I am hoping that when the programmable rotators are ready, I will be able to program them to take a complete sequence that will stitch easily.

          Roger W.

          Sent from my iPad

          On Apr 4, 2013, at 2:09 PM, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

          On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 00:28:58 +0900, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

          Hi Roger!

          Hi, Felipe!

          I shoot most of my panos using the Tokina 10-17 on a APS-C camera (Canon 50-D) mounted on a NN3 mk2. I shoot 6 horizontals tiltes about 12º down and one straight up for a total of 7 pics (21 if you bracket). I rarely shoot straight to the nadir (I choose an easy to clon spot down). Hope this helps.

          That is exactly what I wanted to know. Luca also says 15 degrees is too much. This afternoon I will be out and about trying different angles and processing. I will try both 10 and 12.5 degrees.

          Roger

          Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
            Hmm, if you are already taking 3shots to cover nadir try to go -15 or -30.
            If you can upload somewhere  a bunch of pictures in jpg (compress the jpg and let the resolution be high) I cam build a mathematical model aroun it and find the perfect workflow.
            ;-P

            Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

            --
            Luca Vascon.
          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2013
              Sorry?

              I am already at -15, and the three shots are to cover the zenith, which they do, but with not much overlap to spare. I doubt if -30 could be made to work... But if you're willing to try that could still lead to the optimum workflow.

              I'll see if my registration at GETT still works. I have the set of TIFFs I was playing with this afternoon, and can break those down into JPEGs.

              Later,

              Roger W

              PS I suddenly realized that I could save considerable time and achieve greater consistency between all 6+2/3/4 shots by processing them ALL at the same time in PS ACR, and only using my favourite SNS HDR for the final panorama. SNS HDR is a bit slow if you use it serially, whereas ACR can be synched to apply to the entire series... Much faster.

              RW

              Sent from my iPad

              Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

              --