I miss Superrune!

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
      I just tried Pano2VR, which I found had been upgraded to a version I needed to pay for
      (still waiting for the registration key), in order to be able to patch nadirs. I've been
      trying the, er, trial version.

      First a question. The conversion to cubic images I discovered creates a single
      image six cube-faces long. Is there an option somewhere to create individual cube
      faces? I would rather edit the nadir cube face alone, if possible.

      Second a problem. With the camera and lens I am using, I need a bigger area to edit
      than the cube face gives me. This is because the area occupied by my tripod and
      my body occupies such a large area in the nadir area. I am using the Nodal Ninja
      nadir device, and haven't mastered the exact centering of the camera over the
      original spot after deploying the nadir device, so often I have parallax problems to
      resolve quite some way away from the center of the image.

      I intend to visit the Superrune page to see if there's anything about Windows 8 and
      PS CS6. I really REALLY miss the convenience of this plugin.

      Roger W.

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
    • Luca Vascon
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
        Pano 2VR as well as KRpano, as well as FlamingPear Flexify plugin can do the trick!
        :-)
        Remember to make new layer before flexify

        Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

        --
        Luca Vascon.
      • Luca Vascon

          Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

          --
          Luca Vascon.

          Luca Vascon.
        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
            Why not use ptgui? It's faster, probably higher quality and
            configurable. Just use templates. 360 to 120 rectalinear pitch -90.

            Sacha Griffin
            http://www.seeit360.com
            http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
            http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
            IM: sachagriffin007@...
            Office: 404-551-4275

            On Apr 1, 2013, at 11:09 PM, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

            > I just tried Pano2VR, which I found had been upgraded to a version I needed to pay for
            > (still waiting for the registration key), in order to be able to patch nadirs. I've been
            > trying the, er, trial version.
            >
            > First a question. The conversion to cubic images I discovered creates a single
            > image six cube-faces long. Is there an option somewhere to create individual cube
            > faces? I would rather edit the nadir cube face alone, if possible.
            >
            > Second a problem. With the camera and lens I am using, I need a bigger area to edit
            > than the cube face gives me. This is because the area occupied by my tripod and
            > my body occupies such a large area in the nadir area. I am using the Nodal Ninja
            > nadir device, and haven't mastered the exact centering of the camera over the
            > original spot after deploying the nadir device, so often I have parallax problems to
            > resolve quite some way away from the center of the image.
            >
            > I intend to visit the Superrune page to see if there's anything about Windows 8 and
            > PS CS6. I really REALLY miss the convenience of this plugin.
            >
            > Roger W.
            >
            > --
            > Business: www.adex-japan.com
            > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
            > Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
          • John Houghton
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013

              Yes - select the "Type" option. See http://ge.tt/1effKoc

              > Second a problem. With the camera and lens I am using, I need a
              > bigger area to edit

              Select the "Patch Input" option and add a patch. You can zoom in/out to any part of the panorama. It's not entirely straightforward, but there's a video tutorial on the web site.

              John
            • Roger D Williams
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                Sacha,

                Although I have been using PTgui since v2.0 I must confess I only use the bits I know and have never come to a good overall understanding of the program's more opaque functions and features. Superrune spoiled me! So I have no idea what you mean by your advice nor how to go about taking it. I thought templates were for repeating a complete sequence of steps in producing a panorama from a set of images. And what does 360 to 120 mean? Pitch -90 makes sense--presumably that would be looking straight down...

                Sorry to be so dense.

                Roger W.

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                  Thanks, John, but there's a problem with the GIF, which doesn't download however long I wait (well, not for for or five minutes, anyway), the spinning icon just spins... and spins...

                  I'll look for the video, although not being straightforward is a serious hindrance for me.

                  Roger W

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Apr 2, 2013, at 3:58 PM, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
                  >> First a question. The conversion to cubic images I discovered creates
                  >> a single
                  >> image six cube-faces long. Is there an option somewhere to create
                  >> individual cube faces?
                  >
                  > Yes - select the "Type" option. See http://ge.tt/1effKoc
                  >
                  >> Second a problem. With the camera and lens I am using, I need a
                  >> bigger area to edit
                  >
                  > Select the "Patch Input" option and add a patch. You can zoom in/out to any part of the panorama. It's not entirely straightforward, but there's a video tutorial on the web site.
                  >
                  > John

                • Roger D Williams
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                    Thank you, Luca. But I 'm not sure you could dignify the way I produce panos as anything as formal as a "Workflow."

                    I just take six images (of three exposures each, at 0, +2 and -2 stops about my best guess exposure), rotate the NN3 Mk II to point the camera UP then DOWN, and just before the latter I use the NN nadir hinged thingy and try to move the tripod back so the camera points down over the spot previously directly under it. The latter is a bit tricky, and doesn't work too well for me. Or rather it works very well when it does work, but if I didn't get the move right, it's more trouble than it's worth. The time it all takes tends to exasperate my wife, and sometimes I've missed one or other of these steps to reduce her waiting time.

                    Life was much simpler when I was just taking four around with a Peleng in a ring mount with the diagonal of my APS-C frame vertical. But the Pentax 10-17mm zoom fisheye us clearly the better lens so I am battling with the 6+2. I am even wondering whether the large nadir hole really requires me to take TWO nadir shots at right angles to reduce the area taken up by my body and the mini-tripod I use to hold the monopod base in position.

                    I load all the images into CS6 and use the built-in ACR to remove CA. I have played with the other features of ACR but prefer to use SNS-HDR (Home), and often find that it can create a satisfactorily tone-mapped image from just one of the three, so I only use the other two images in "true" HDR processing when I have an unusually wide dynamic range--say looking from inside a shadowed room through windows into a sunlit garden... I then pick the corresponding images from the other triplets, then proceed to stitch. I used to do this stage in DXO, which I took the time to master, but alas it does not provide modules for my zoom fisheye.

                    I use PTgui to align the first six images, only adding the zenith and nadir shots after the initial alignment and optimization have already gone well. I use the masking function to move the stitching seams to avoid half people. There is almost nowhere I go in Japan that doesn't have LOTS of people around. Sigh.

                    And then I am left with nadir holes. Enter Superrune and/or Pano2VR and/or PTgui. Currently, Superrune is not working properly, error messages at every stage, but if I retry it usually does its thing. Sometimes not, though. Can no longer rely on it.

                    I then mask out my feet and legs and use the clone tool to fill the holes in the final panorama. I have never had any joy with the intelligent fill function. It would be great if it DID work.

                    As you can see, Luca, it's messy, involves several different programs, and is hard to automate because it depends on subjective decisions at so many points along the way.

                    Any help and advice you can give will be received RAPTUROUSLY.

                    Roger W

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

                    --
                    Luca Vascon.

                    Luca Vascon.
                  • John Houghton
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks, John, but there's a problem with the GIF,

                      Roger, Try this instead: http://www.johnhpanos.com/cubes.gif

                      John
                    • Roger D Williams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                        Thanks! Found it and proved that it works...

                        Roger

                        Sent from my iPad

                        On Apr 2, 2013, at 7:11 PM, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Thanks, John, but there's a problem with the GIF,
                        >
                        > Roger, Try this instead: http://www.johnhpanos.com/cubes.gif
                        >
                        > John

                      • Mark D. Fink
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                          Hi Roger,

                          I put together two videos on nadir patching and stitching. Patching is for
                          those times when you didn't shoot a nadir, and stitching is when you did
                          shoot the nadir.

                          Patching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7kaXMTTk

                          Stitching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0

                          If anyone is interested, I can send along the PTGui templates that I use. I
                          have separate ones for the different image sizes that I typically shoot.

                          Hope this helps!

                          Mark

                          ------------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                            Am 02.04.2013 10:26, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                            > Although I have been using PTgui since v2.0 I must confess I only use
                            > the bits I know and have never come to a good overall understanding
                            > of the program's more opaque functions and features

                            Download my PTGui templates from
                            http://erik-krause.de/ttt/#Bodenbild_extrahieren
                            put them in your templates folder and follow the instructions.

                          • Roger D Williams
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                              Thank you Erik, I will certainly do so!

                              Roger W

                              Sent from my iPad

                              On Apr 3, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                              > Am 02.04.2013 10:26, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                              >> Although I have been using PTgui since v2.0 I must confess I only use
                              >> the bits I know and have never come to a good overall understanding
                              >> of the program's more opaque functions and features
                              >
                              > Download my PTGui templates from
                              > http://erik-krause.de/ttt/#Bodenbild_extrahieren
                              > put them in your templates folder and follow the instructions.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Erik Krause

                            • Roger D Williams
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                Thank you, Mark. I am rather overwhelmed by the help I am getting with this problem I have run into. Today is cold, rainy and windy here in Tokyo and my wife said "Don't even STEP outside," so I will be at home watching videos and reading PDFs, etc., as recommended.

                                I found the video tutorial on nadir patching at the Pano2VR site but I am so deaf I couldn't follow the fast and chirpy commentary and got dizzy following the cursor leaping from one unfamiliar pull-down menu to another. I tried using the freeze frame control, but this further fragmented the commentary so I understood even less of it.

                                Hope I can follow yours!

                                Roger W

                                Sent from my iPad

                                On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:16 PM, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Roger,
                                >
                                > I put together two videos on nadir patching and stitching. Patching is for
                                > those times when you didn't shoot a nadir, and stitching is when you did
                                > shoot the nadir.
                                >
                                > Patching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7kaXMTTk
                                >
                                > Stitching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0
                                >
                                > If anyone is interested, I can send along the PTGui templates that I use. I
                                > have separate ones for the different image sizes that I typically shoot.
                                >
                                > Hope this helps!
                                >
                                > Mark

                              • Roger D Williams
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                  Thank you Erik. I don't have a template folder but I will (for the VERY FIRST TIME) save a template from a recent panorama and assume that the appropriate folder will be created in the right place for me to put your templates....

                                  Roger

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                  On Apr 3, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                                  > Am 02.04.2013 10:26, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                  >> Although I have been using PTgui since v2.0 I must confess I only use
                                  >> the bits I know and have never come to a good overall understanding
                                  >> of the program's more opaque functions and features
                                  >
                                  > Download my PTGui templates from
                                  > http://erik-krause.de/ttt/#Bodenbild_extrahieren
                                  > put them in your templates folder and follow the instructions.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Erik Krause

                                • Roger D Williams
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                    Thanks, Mark. I found these clear and well-paced. In fact I have often made successful use of the perspective changing approach to nadir stitching, but when you have a far-from-flat floor it doesn't work, and of course there are a number of "gotchas" along the way to success, and I must have encountered most of them.

                                    I am not at all familiar with PS actions and how to create them, so will spend my time trying to follow the first video.

                                    Roger

                                    Sent from my iPad

                                    On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:16 PM, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Roger,
                                    >
                                    > I put together two videos on nadir patching and stitching. Patching is for
                                    > those times when you didn't shoot a nadir, and stitching is when you did
                                    > shoot the nadir.
                                    >
                                    > Patching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7kaXMTTk
                                    >
                                    > Stitching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0
                                    >
                                    > If anyone is interested, I can send along the PTGui templates that I use. I
                                    > have separate ones for the different image sizes that I typically shoot.
                                    >
                                    > Hope this helps!
                                    >
                                    > Mark

                                  • pedro_silva58
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                      hi roger!

                                      i'm not sure the following helps, but i hope so:

                                      http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_13
                                      In Tools/Options/Folders&Files, a folder can be configured where you store your templates (on Mac go to the PTGui menu, Preferences, Folders&Files). Then, the template selection dialog will by default open in this folder. There's a little triangle button next to the 'Apply Template' button on the toolbar, which shows a drop down list of all templates in the configured template directory, for quick access.

                                      cheers,
                                      pedro

                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                                      > Thank you Erik. I don't have a template folder but I will (for the VERY FIRST TIME) save a template from a recent panorama and assume that the appropriate folder will be created in the right place for me to put your templates....
                                      >
                                      > Roger
                                      >
                                      > Sent from my iPad
                                      >
                                      > On Apr 3, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Am 02.04.2013 10:26, schrieb Roger D Williams:
                                      > >> Although I have been using PTgui since v2.0 I must confess I only use
                                      > >> the bits I know and have never come to a good overall understanding
                                      > >> of the program's more opaque functions and features
                                      > >
                                      > > Download my PTGui templates from
                                      > > http://erik-krause.de/ttt/#Bodenbild_extrahieren
                                      > > put them in your templates folder and follow the instructions.
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > Erik Krause
                                      > >

                                      > > ------------------------------------
                                      > >
                                      > > --

                                    • Roger D Williams
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                        It was very helpful. Now I can be sure of getting things to work properly... Thanks!

                                        Roger W

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        On Apr 3, 2013, at 2:32 PM, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

                                        > hi roger!
                                        >
                                        > i'm not sure the following helps, but i hope so:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_13
                                        > In Tools/Options/Folders&Files, a folder can be configured where you store your templates (on Mac go to the PTGui menu, Preferences, Folders&Files). Then, the template selection dialog will by default open in this folder. There's a little triangle button next to the 'Apply Template' button on the toolbar, which shows a drop down list of all templates in the configured template directory, for quick access.
                                        >
                                        > cheers,
                                        > pedro
                                        >
                                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> Thank you Erik. I don't have a template folder but I will (for the VERY FIRST TIME) save a template from a recent panorama and assume that the appropriate folder will be created in the right place for me to put your templates....
                                        >>
                                        >> Roger
                                        >>
                                        >> Sent from my iPad

                                        >>> Download my PTGui templates from
                                        >>> http://erik-krause.de/ttt/#Bodenbild_extrahieren
                                        >>> put them in your templates folder and follow the instructions.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> --
                                        >>> Erik Krause
                                        >>>

                                        >>> ------------------------------------
                                        >>>
                                        >>> --

                                      • Christian Bloch
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                                          Hi Roger,

                                          You can get the exact same superrune behavior with Flexify in Photoshop. Equirect to zenith/nadir patch in the same image dimensions, side by side. And back. I recorded it as Photoshop Action once (including the make new layer), and now it's just a blind firing of the action. Not even the Flexify interface gets in the way anymore.

                                          Pano2VR has the PatchTool for exactly that purpose, so here you wouldn't need to do a full cubic conversion either.

                                          Both of these nadir patching workflows are described in full, with step-by-step tutorial and screenshots and example images in my HDRI Handbook 2.0. (pages 490 to 495).

                                          Cheers
                                          Blochi
                                        • Roger D Williams
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                                            Thanks, Blochi. I have your HDR handbook and will see if I can follow your description of how to use the Pano2VR patch tool. The on-site video tutorial didn't work for me. I doubt that a purchase of Flexify for this alone would worth it, but I'll find out what it costs before dismissing it.

                                            Roger W

                                            Sent from my iPad

                                            On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Roger,
                                            >
                                            > You can get the exact same superrune behavior with Flexify in Photoshop. Equirect to zenith/nadir patch in the same image dimensions, side by side. And back. I recorded it as Photoshop Action once (including the make new layer), and now it's just a blind firing of the action. Not even the Flexify interface gets in the way anymore.
                                            >
                                            > Pano2VR has the PatchTool for exactly that purpose, so here you wouldn't need to do a full cubic conversion either.
                                            >
                                            > Both of these nadir patching workflows are described in full, with step-by-step tutorial and screenshots and example images in my HDRI Handbook 2.0. (pages 490 to 495).
                                            >
                                            > Cheers
                                            > Blochi

                                          • Roger D Williams
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                                              I see that Flexify is US$54, so for now I'll stick with my recently purchased upgrade of Pano2VR. I found your description of how to patch very clear, although you seem to have a lot more trust in content-aware fill than is justified by my limited experience. I must try it again, as it may have improved in the meantime.

                                              Roger W

                                              Sent from my iPad

                                              On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                                              > Thanks, Blochi. I have your HDR handbook and will see if I can follow your description of how to use the Pano2VR patch tool. The on-site video tutorial didn't work for me. I doubt that a purchase of Flexify for this alone would worth it, but I'll find out what it costs before dismissing it.
                                              >
                                              > Roger W
                                              >
                                              > Sent from my iPad
                                              >
                                              > On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Hi Roger,
                                              >>
                                              >> You can get the exact same superrune behavior with Flexify in Photoshop. Equirect to zenith/nadir patch in the same image dimensions, side by side. And back. I recorded it as Photoshop Action once (including the make new layer), and now it's just a blind firing of the action. Not even the Flexify interface gets in the way anymore.
                                              >>
                                              >> Pano2VR has the PatchTool for exactly that purpose, so here you wouldn't need to do a full cubic conversion either.
                                              >>
                                              >> Both of these nadir patching workflows are described in full, with step-by-step tutorial and screenshots and example images in my HDRI Handbook 2.0. (pages 490 to 495).
                                              >>
                                              >> Cheers
                                              >> Blochi
                                              >>
                                              >> ------------------------------------
                                              >>
                                              >> --

                                            • Luca Vascon
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                                                So, Roger, you are in a 6 plus 2 workflow.
                                                I do have a copy of the exact same lens, as you know my illness. I? must have them all. I also do have the 17-28mm Pentax fisheye zoom..
                                                I use it in Tokina version on Canon, so I do have some degrees less, due to the smaller Canon APSC sensor.
                                                On all my 6+2 workflows, and I speak of workflows, because they are my pride and babies ( reason why I can take and stich whatever and in whatever number a day...) They are so even if they are handheld ( workflAws). I was saying... on thiskind of case I always try to take  the 6 pictures drum with a -15 degrees pitch, and have a smaller nadir, as small as the tripod indeed, or even less ( 15mm Sigma on full frame, 7.5 Sammy on Olympus Pen) so taking away the nadir is trivial.

                                                With 10-17 you have some degree less. So you pitch a bit less than 15degrees and the hole remains a bit bigger.
                                                Or you can switch to a 4+4 shots ( you may need a tripod, because you need the first drum  to be shot, let's say @-30 pitch, 0-90-180-270, but when you make the upper drum (keep it @+25 more than +30) you should start your 90 degrees steps from 45 and not from 8. You need a 8 clicks rotator.

                                                Of course you can shoot 6 shots and 6 shots, with a total of 12, keeping your monopod system like it is, but you will also have too much overlap in zenit and nadir areas. Better make a template with maskings! ;-)

                                                Here it is late and I'm stitching 5meter pole handheld interiors, so I hope it is all clear, if it is not, pleade feel free to ask as many times as you want, my friend!!

                                                2013/4/3 Roger D Williams <roger@...>
                                                I see that Flexify is US$54, so for now I'll stick with my recently purchased upgrade of Pano2VR. I found your description of how to patch very clear, although you seem to have a lot more trust in content-aware fill than is justified by my limited experience. I must try it again, as it may have improved in the meantime.

                                                Roger W

                                                Sent from my iPad

                                                On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

                                                > Thanks, Blochi. I have your HDR handbook and will see if I can follow your description of how to use the Pano2VR patch tool. The on-site video tutorial didn't work for me. I doubt that a purchase of Flexify for this alone would worth it, but I'll find out what it costs before dismissing it.
                                                >
                                                > Roger W
                                                >
                                                > Sent from my iPad
                                                >
                                                > On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> Hi Roger,
                                                >>
                                                >> You can get the exact same superrune behavior with Flexify in Photoshop. Equirect to zenith/nadir patch in the same image dimensions, side by side. And back. I recorded it as Photoshop Action once (including the make new layer), and now it's just a blind firing of the action. Not even the Flexify interface gets in the way anymore.
                                                >>
                                                >> Pano2VR has the PatchTool for exactly that purpose, so here you wouldn't need to do a full cubic conversion either.
                                                >>
                                                >> Both of these nadir patching workflows are described in full, with step-by-step tutorial and screenshots and example images in my HDRI Handbook 2.0. (pages 490 to 495).
                                                >>
                                                >> Cheers
                                                >> Blochi
                                                >>
                                                >> ------------------------------------
                                                >>
                                                >> --

                                                <*> Your email settings:
                                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                                    PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                --
                                                Luca Vascon.
                                              • Roger D. Williams
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                                                  On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 06:14:58 +0900, Luca Vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                                                  So, Roger, you are in a 6 plus 2 workflow.

                                                  Yes, reluctantly. I really REALLY prefer the four around of a tilted 8mm fisheye like the Sigma on a full, i.e., non-Canon, SPS-C sensor. (Sigh) And I will never get rid of my Peleng.

                                                  I do have a copy of the exact same lens, as you know my illness. I? must have them all. I also do have the 17-28mm Pentax fisheye zoom..
                                                  I use it in Tokina version on Canon, so I do have some degrees less, due to the smaller Canon APSC sensor.
                                                  On all my 6+2 workflows, and I speak of workflows, because they are my pride and babies ( reason why I can take and stich whatever and in whatever number a day...) They are so even if they are handheld ( workflAws). I was saying... on thiskind of case I always try to take  the 6 pictures drum with a -15 degrees pitch, and have a smaller nadir, as small as the tripod indeed, or even less ( 15mm Sigma on full frame, 7.5 Sammy on Olympus Pen) so taking away the nadir is trivial.

                                                  Aha. That is helpful. I will try -10 or -12.5 degrees and see how that works out.

                                                  With 10-17 you have some degree less. So you pitch a bit less than 15degrees and the hole remains a bit bigger.
                                                  Or you can switch to a 4+4 shots ( you may need a tripod, because you need the first drum  to be shot, let's say @-30 pitch, 0-90-180-270, but when you make the upper drum (keep it @+25 more than +30) you should start your 90 degrees steps from 45 and not from 8. You need a 8 clicks rotator.

                                                  You may remember I told the list that I would be beta testing a camera rotator that appeared on Kickstarter? There have been various delays with design and manufacturing changes (I believe they are significant improvements well worth waiting for) that were made possible by the multiple over-funding. The much-delayed launch of manufacturing prototypes, which I expect to be beta testing, is scheduled for early next month. The small units, not much larger than a mechanical rotator, can be programmed using iOS and/or Android apps, and two of them can be used together to offer synchronized or successive pan AND tilt functions! You put the camera on a bracket that places the NPP at the center of rotation of one device, and then use another bracket to mount this device on a second device. One turns the camera around, the other points it up or down. It provides a really cool way of taking, say, six around, alternately pointing up and down, or indeed any other combination. Of course this is in theory. That is why I will be beta testing!

                                                  Of course you can shoot 6 shots and 6 shots, with a total of 12, keeping your monopod system like it is, but you will also have too much overlap in zenit and nadir areas. Better make a template with maskings! ;-)

                                                  Here it is late and I'm stitching 5meter pole handheld interiors, so I hope it is all clear, if it is not, pleade feel free to ask as many times as you want, my friend!!

                                                  That is for the future. For now, I will simply take my panoramas with the camera pointing 10 degrees down and see (a) how small the nadir gets and (b) for large the zenith gets and (c) how much trouble I have filling the various sized holes.

                                                  I really appreciate your offer of help. Don't forget that I offered help with the final English editing of anything you might need in that area! I am now fully retired and have LOTS of time on my hands.

                                                  Roger

                                                  Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
                                                • Luca Vascon
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 4, 2013
                                                    ;-)
                                                    WellI hope we will recieve together our robotic rotators!!!
                                                    I plan to use them on the PEN camera.

                                                    Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

                                                    --
                                                    Luca Vascon.