Re: A New Year's Pole Pano

  • hmmsomethingelse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      > <http://azurevision.co.uk/temp/newyear.html>

      Well done I was just looking at that at panoramas.dk as it was nice to
      see one from near me. I was impressed with how you got the fireworks
      nice and bright but still could see the street fine though I don't
      know how much cutting and pasting you did... I tried to take some
      quick pictures of my neighbours fireworks near guy fawkes and it was
      harder than I had expected so well done.
    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
        On 1 Jan 2007, at 13:29, hmmsomethingelse wrote:

        >> <http://azurevision.co.uk/temp/newyear.html>
        >
        > Well done I was just looking at that at panoramas.dk as it was nice to
        > see one from near me.

        Thanks! I thought it would make for a nice contrast to all these big
        cities, though Michael's also shows something a bit different.

        > I was impressed with how you got the fireworks
        > nice and bright but still could see the street fine though I don't
        > know how much cutting and pasting you did...

        Shot in RAW on a 5D, and tweaking the conversion to get every last
        bit of tonal range that I could, so that the street and the lights
        would both be OK.

        Nothing was moved from one place to another, but it's a composite
        from a whole bunch of pictures all on the same exposure settings. I'm
        thinking of writing up a description of the process of shooting and
        stitching this pano:

        - Setting up the lighting stand to point out of the window and
        counterweighting it enough.
        - Test exposure shot and processed to see if I could get enough
        exposure range *and* a fast enough shutter speed
        - Take multiple shots of the street, and loads of the sky to get some
        fireworks.
        - Go "Eek!" on bringing the camera back in and realising that you've
        shot 114 photos...
        - Edit down to about 14 that ended up in the final pano.
        - Stitch and post-process.
        - Upload and send link to Hans.

        All in a couple of hours.

        Ian