A New Year's Pole Pano

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
      In case it doesn't get onto Han's gallery. Watch out, it's set to go fullscreen:
      <http://azurevision.co.uk/temp/newyear.html>

      The counter-weight was the living room sofa!

      Night all, and have a Happy New Year,

      Ian
    • hmmsomethingelse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
        > <http://azurevision.co.uk/temp/newyear.html>

        Well done I was just looking at that at panoramas.dk as it was nice to
        see one from near me. I was impressed with how you got the fireworks
        nice and bright but still could see the street fine though I don't
        know how much cutting and pasting you did... I tried to take some
        quick pictures of my neighbours fireworks near guy fawkes and it was
        harder than I had expected so well done.
      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
          On 1 Jan 2007, at 13:29, hmmsomethingelse wrote:

          >> <http://azurevision.co.uk/temp/newyear.html>
          >
          > Well done I was just looking at that at panoramas.dk as it was nice to
          > see one from near me.

          Thanks! I thought it would make for a nice contrast to all these big
          cities, though Michael's also shows something a bit different.

          > I was impressed with how you got the fireworks
          > nice and bright but still could see the street fine though I don't
          > know how much cutting and pasting you did...

          Shot in RAW on a 5D, and tweaking the conversion to get every last
          bit of tonal range that I could, so that the street and the lights
          would both be OK.

          Nothing was moved from one place to another, but it's a composite
          from a whole bunch of pictures all on the same exposure settings. I'm
          thinking of writing up a description of the process of shooting and
          stitching this pano:

          - Setting up the lighting stand to point out of the window and
          counterweighting it enough.
          - Test exposure shot and processed to see if I could get enough
          exposure range *and* a fast enough shutter speed
          - Take multiple shots of the street, and loads of the sky to get some
          fireworks.
          - Go "Eek!" on bringing the camera back in and realising that you've
          shot 114 photos...
          - Edit down to about 14 that ended up in the final pano.
          - Stitch and post-process.
          - Upload and send link to Hans.

          All in a couple of hours.

          Ian