Re: linear pano/mosaic of a city block elevation?

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
      My first reply went missing -- so sorry if this is a duplicate
      You will find it easier if you can parallelize all your shots. You can do this with camera tracking/stabilization software. eg. the Camera Tracker in After Effects CS6. Here is a mini-tutorial I wrote for aligning image sequences for lenticular print creation (which has similar parallelism requirements to your case):

      PeterM

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Bennett <nbennettphoto@...> wrote:

      > Thank you everyone for the great ideas.
      > This video idea looks interesting Manfred...
      > They need it for a website banner so it could work ok.
      > Time for testing, testing, testing.
      > Cheers,
      > Nathan Bennett
      > www.nbphoto.com
      > On Mar 13, 2013, at 3:32 PM, Manfred Kröger wrote:
      >
      > > One could do a first try with a video camera, I think:
      > >
      > > Walk on the other side of the street and aim your camera on the buildings, camera rotated 90° so that it's filming in portrait orientation. Afterwards you use a software like VirtualDub to create BMPs, TIFs or JPGs from the frames. Crop the images so that only a very small strip from the center remains and feed those images into the panorama application of your choice for automatic control point detection.
      > >
      > > By filming you get lots of images with a minimal effort. Unfortunately the resolution is not that great. But maybe that's enough?!

    • michaelalearmonth
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 14, 2013
        This may be helpful:

        http://www4.telus.net/public/wexsessa/travo.html

        Mike Learmonth

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Bennett <nbennettphoto@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > Nathan Bennett here, I'm an interior and architectural photographer in the S.F. Bay Area. se. www.nbphoto.com
        >
        > I need to make a linear pano / mosaic of a city block elevation? Not by 'panning' a camera on a tripod from one static point.
        > (by moving the camera down the block and stitching vertical images together to create one long hopefully flat field image.)
        >

        > How does one correct for parallax and the wonkyness of things in the foreground?
        > What programs do you use and how do you go about capturing the image in the 'best light'?
        >
        > ...Use a 'horizontal Plumb line', keep tripod height consistent and parallel, use Lasers,
        > shoot many vertical images and use only the center of each one (at 5-10" overlapping intervals), use XYZ program, etc.?...
        >
        > Thank you for any solution which would give professional results.
        >

        > Nathan
        >

        > NATHANAEL BENNETT PHOTOGRAPHY
        >
        > contact@...
        > www.nbphoto.com

      • giant_klobasa_monster
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 14, 2013
          a BANNER?

          use photoshop.

          everything else is a time sink for the output you need.