Re: Director 12 -- tool for virtual tours for iOS?

  • panometr
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi,

      Aldo, what do you think about new Director?

      What is the potential of Director 12 for 360video?
      If only we can get the quality of Shockwave for 360video...

      What do you think?
      Regards,
      Karol

      > Director 12 is out -- after about 4 years from 11.5. Main new feature I guess is iOS output. There were quite a few Director virtual tours made for a while -- maybe they will be portable straightforwardly to iOS now. But no audio or video on iOS export I read -- which is limiting for many things.
      >
      > Also now you have an anaglyph 3d viewing option for Shockwave3d scenes -- so you can potentially have 3d interactive animations in anaglyph stereo panoramas.
      >
      > It would be interesting to see what the iOS Shockwave3d support is.
      >
      > PeterM

    • Aldo Hoeben
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
        > Aldo, what do you think about new Director?

        I think it has lost relevance. A long (long) time ago, Shockwave had the only hardware accelerated 3d browser-plugin with any market penetration. That made it interesting for panoramas.

        > What is the potential of Director 12 for 360video?

        Very little, in my opinion. Shockwave as a plugin has far too many issues and not enough install-base to be interesting. Browser-plugins are a lost cause anyway, and there are better performing solutions on the way. WebGL being an overdue one.

        I don't even think that there is a well-supported way to use video as a texture in this release.

        >> It would be interesting to see what the iOS Shockwave3d support is.

        As far as I know, Shockwave3d is supported. You have to wonder though if the price of Director and the publishing royalties you may have to pay for your app in the app-store are worth the little time you save by not writing the application from scratch in xcode. Or you could simply use krpano in a phonegap/cordova container.
      • David Dantowitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
          On Mar 5, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Aldo Hoeben wrote:

          > You have to wonder though if the price of Director and the publishing royalties you may have to pay for your app in the app-store are worth the little time you save by not writing the application from scratch in xcode.

          If you've already invested in learning Director, check out the 30 day demo. You only pay royalties to Adobe over $20,000 of funds received from Apple.

          David
        • panometr
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2013
            Aldo,

            thanks for your reply. YOu are the expert in Director.
            So Director 12 is not recommended.
            Best wishes,
            Karol