RE: [PanoToolsNG] OT - Different use for SNS HDR

  • Mark Fink
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
      Sacha, on reflection I hope my reply didn't come across as curt. I appreciate you taking the time for constructive criticism.

      Mark

      Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013

        No offense taken. I could have been less snarky as well.

        Higher contrast is difficult to do without destroying dynamic range. In these cases I use a midtone mask or highlight or shadow depending on the image.

        In my opinion great black and whites have a full complement of details throughout the dynamic range.  Even the second black and white could stand some expansion.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
          Mark,

          I am not sure I am seeing these photos at their best, as I view Google+ on my iPad and I think the quality of images is usually seriously degraded... one of the reasons I no longer bother with G+ unless someone posts an interesting link, like yours. From what I can see I would tend to agree with Sacha.

          I am a great fan of SNS-HDR and like you I am pleased at what it can do with single shots, particularly on my Pentax cameras, with their splendidly low noise in shadow areas. It allows me to bring up shadow detail and produce final images that look natural but still cover most of the dynamic range visible to the naked eye. I know that isn't physically possible but I'm creating a fairly satisfactory illusion!

          These days I am still taking three exposures (two stops apart) for HDR but increasingly find that SNS-HDR does all I need on just one of the three. I'm looking forward to improved de-ghosting and the promised addition of CA removal. If those come through, the program will make me far less dependent on DXO and PS CS6!

          Roger W

          Sent from my iPad

          On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:00 AM, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

          I’ve been playing around with SNS HDR recently on single images, not adding multiple exposures, and I really like some of the effects that I’m getting. It’s not designed for this, but think of it as an added bonus.

          Have a look at two versions of a B&W conversion I did here:

          https://plus.google.com/#photos/111468463289492526581/albums/5848258688934368465

          Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three exposures blended in SNS HDR.

          Mark

        • Ormar
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
            Real crossmedia :)
            To see images from Yahoo list, I must make account on G+ ?

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
              Am 24.02.2013 01:00, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
              > Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it
              > through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three
              > exposures blended in SNS HDR.

              I like the lightroom version most. The color version would be quite
              nice, but the white balance is too warmish. It suggests evening sun
              while the shadows show it has been taken midday. In the SNS b/w the
              image doesn't benefit from the hard contrast IMHO. However, the
              technique is worth to remember, since other subjects might well improve.

              Did you intentionally show the images on g+ such that non-members can't
              see them? You can send attachments with your yahoo group postings. They
              should be placed in the photos section at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/photos automatically and a
              link should be added to the mail.

            • markdfink
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                Actually, they were taken at 5:00 in the afternoon, but late June in the south of France means that sunset was still about four hours away. Yes, I agree, it is a little on the warm side. That seems to be a preference of mine. :o)

                I thought I had shared that G+ folder with the public - my apologies to those who tried to view it but couldn't. I have uploaded two different images that show the results more clearly, perhaps. Here is the link:

                The first was an image I took 11 years ago with my Canon D30. I think running it through SNS HDR breathed new life into it. Certainly similar results could be obtained via Lightroom or Photoshop, but it's nice to know there is another tool available with SNS HDR.

                Mark
                Am 24.02.2013 01:00, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
                > Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it
                > through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three
                > exposures blended in SNS HDR.

                I like the lightroom version most. The color version would be quite
                nice, but the white balance is too warmish. It suggests evening sun
                while the shadows show it has been taken midday. In the SNS b/w the
                image doesn't benefit from the hard contrast IMHO. However, the
                technique is worth to remember, since other subjects might well improve.

                Did you intentionally show the images on g+ such that non-members can't
                see them? You can send attachments with your yahoo group postings. They
                should be placed in the photos section at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/photos automatically and a
                link should be added to the mail.

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Am 24.02.2013 18:27, schrieb markdfink@...:
                  > Actually, they were taken at 5:00 in the afternoon, but late June in the south
                  > of France means that sunset was still about four hours away. Yes, I agree, it is
                  > a little on the warm side. That seems to be a preference of mine. :o)

                  It might look fine on the usual 9300K office monitor, but it's
                  definitely too warm on a calibrated 5500K monitor.

                  > The first was an image I took 11 years ago with my Canon D30. I think running it
                  > through SNS HDR breathed new life into it. Certainly similar results could be
                  > obtained via Lightroom or Photoshop, but it's nice to know there is another tool
                  > available with SNS HDR.

                  Definitely. I like the SNS results very much most of the time.