OT - Different use for SNS HDR

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013

      I’ve been playing around with SNS HDR recently on single images, not adding multiple exposures, and I really like some of the effects that I’m getting. It’s not designed for this, but think of it as an added bonus.

      Have a look at two versions of a B&W conversion I did here:

      https://plus.google.com/#photos/111468463289492526581/albums/5848258688934368465

      Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three exposures blended in SNS HDR.

      Mark

    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013

        Image 2 is far superior.

        Image 1 has so much detail and dynamic range lost it looks like it could have been done with iphone5 and processed with something.

        The image composition itself does not lend itself well towards black and white. Too much compositional focus is lost.

        My two cents.

        SNS is ok for multi-exposures.. for single exposures I have yet to see an example that isn’t better straight out of the raw converter.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
          Ok, two cents taken. The point is, try SNS HDR with a single image and see if you like what it can do.

          Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
            Sacha, on reflection I hope my reply didn't come across as curt. I appreciate you taking the time for constructive criticism.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013

              No offense taken. I could have been less snarky as well.

              Higher contrast is difficult to do without destroying dynamic range. In these cases I use a midtone mask or highlight or shadow depending on the image.

              In my opinion great black and whites have a full complement of details throughout the dynamic range.  Even the second black and white could stand some expansion.

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
                Mark,

                I am not sure I am seeing these photos at their best, as I view Google+ on my iPad and I think the quality of images is usually seriously degraded... one of the reasons I no longer bother with G+ unless someone posts an interesting link, like yours. From what I can see I would tend to agree with Sacha.

                I am a great fan of SNS-HDR and like you I am pleased at what it can do with single shots, particularly on my Pentax cameras, with their splendidly low noise in shadow areas. It allows me to bring up shadow detail and produce final images that look natural but still cover most of the dynamic range visible to the naked eye. I know that isn't physically possible but I'm creating a fairly satisfactory illusion!

                These days I am still taking three exposures (two stops apart) for HDR but increasingly find that SNS-HDR does all I need on just one of the three. I'm looking forward to improved de-ghosting and the promised addition of CA removal. If those come through, the program will make me far less dependent on DXO and PS CS6!

                Roger W

                Sent from my iPad

                On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:00 AM, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                I’ve been playing around with SNS HDR recently on single images, not adding multiple exposures, and I really like some of the effects that I’m getting. It’s not designed for this, but think of it as an added bonus.

                Have a look at two versions of a B&W conversion I did here:

                https://plus.google.com/#photos/111468463289492526581/albums/5848258688934368465

                Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three exposures blended in SNS HDR.

                Mark

              • Ormar
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
                  Real crossmedia :)
                  To see images from Yahoo list, I must make account on G+ ?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                    Am 24.02.2013 01:00, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
                    > Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it
                    > through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three
                    > exposures blended in SNS HDR.

                    I like the lightroom version most. The color version would be quite
                    nice, but the white balance is too warmish. It suggests evening sun
                    while the shadows show it has been taken midday. In the SNS b/w the
                    image doesn't benefit from the hard contrast IMHO. However, the
                    technique is worth to remember, since other subjects might well improve.

                    Did you intentionally show the images on g+ such that non-members can't
                    see them? You can send attachments with your yahoo group postings. They
                    should be placed in the photos section at
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/photos automatically and a
                    link should be added to the mail.

                  • markdfink
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                      Actually, they were taken at 5:00 in the afternoon, but late June in the south of France means that sunset was still about four hours away. Yes, I agree, it is a little on the warm side. That seems to be a preference of mine. :o)

                      I thought I had shared that G+ folder with the public - my apologies to those who tried to view it but couldn't. I have uploaded two different images that show the results more clearly, perhaps. Here is the link:

                      The first was an image I took 11 years ago with my Canon D30. I think running it through SNS HDR breathed new life into it. Certainly similar results could be obtained via Lightroom or Photoshop, but it's nice to know there is another tool available with SNS HDR.

                      Mark
                      Am 24.02.2013 01:00, schrieb Mark D. Fink:
                      > Image #2 is what I got out of Lightroom. Image #1 is after running it
                      > through SNS HDR. Image #3 is the color original that I got from three
                      > exposures blended in SNS HDR.

                      I like the lightroom version most. The color version would be quite
                      nice, but the white balance is too warmish. It suggests evening sun
                      while the shadows show it has been taken midday. In the SNS b/w the
                      image doesn't benefit from the hard contrast IMHO. However, the
                      technique is worth to remember, since other subjects might well improve.

                      Did you intentionally show the images on g+ such that non-members can't
                      see them? You can send attachments with your yahoo group postings. They
                      should be placed in the photos section at
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/photos automatically and a
                      link should be added to the mail.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                      PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 24, 2013
                        Am 24.02.2013 18:27, schrieb markdfink@...:
                        > Actually, they were taken at 5:00 in the afternoon, but late June in the south
                        > of France means that sunset was still about four hours away. Yes, I agree, it is
                        > a little on the warm side. That seems to be a preference of mine. :o)

                        It might look fine on the usual 9300K office monitor, but it's
                        definitely too warm on a calibrated 5500K monitor.

                        > The first was an image I took 11 years ago with my Canon D30. I think running it
                        > through SNS HDR breathed new life into it. Certainly similar results could be
                        > obtained via Lightroom or Photoshop, but it's nice to know there is another tool
                        > available with SNS HDR.

                        Definitely. I like the SNS results very much most of the time.