Re: 320

  • John Houghton
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
      A really impressive result with excellent sharpness maintained even when zoomed right in. However there is a disturbing abrupt change in image quality as you zoom out - and not a change for the better, either. There's a nasty heavy handed processed look - presumably an attempt to brighten up a dull, low contrast image.

      John

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

      > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
      >
      > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on TV
      > yesterday.
      >
      > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

    • panokaemena
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
        The pole has a hight of 177m   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

        Willz

        On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:51, SKAL <sir_kalot@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        sorry for the maybe silly question, but how tall was the pole you used
        to do this great job ?

        There is somewhere the stream in the net about your job?

        SKAL

        Il 22/02/2013 00:20, Jeffrey Martin ha scritto:

        > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
        >
        > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on
        > TV yesterday.
        >
        > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

      • Fernando Costa Pinto
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
          This one is beautifull too ..and has audio from the places you zoom !! very very well done ..
          ah ..and the pole has a high of  309,6 m srsrs

          --
          71 9906 9966 vivo
          71 9173 2722 tim
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22, 2013
              Am 22.02.2013 10:29, schrieb John Houghton:
              > A really impressive result with excellent sharpness maintained even
              > when zoomed right in. However there is a disturbing abrupt change in
              > image quality as you zoom out - and not a change for the better,
              > either. There's a nasty heavy handed processed look - presumably an
              > attempt to brighten up a dull, low contrast image.

              If you zoom in you get a good resolution until there is a step where
              another image is loaded. Not perfectly registered and with different
              contrast. This image doesn't add more details. It only increases the image.

              That's no surprise, since most likely this wasn't shot at f/4 which
              would be needed to produce an effective resolution of 320 GP for a
              spherical panorama. Higher aperture values cause more blurring due to
              diffraction. See http://wiki.panotools.org/Diffraction#Resolution for
              details. The extender doesn't increase the resolution since the
              effective aperture is changed as well: The table shows the same values
              for 800mm f/8 and 400mm f/4.

              This is the end of the gigapixel race.

            • hdrv
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 23, 2013
                Le 22 févr. 13 à 03:20, Jeffrey Martin a écrit :

                > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
                >
                > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me
                > on TV yesterday.

                your motivation is so small that i think this image is not worth
                looking at.

                Romuald
              • SKAL
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2013
                  Il 22/02/2013 11:20, panokaemena@... ha scritto:
                  > The pole has a hight of 177m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

                  I was not talking about the tower itself, but the pole where you
                  installed the panohead ... :)

                  SKAL
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 16, 2013
                    Am 22.02.2013 21:06, schrieb Erik Krause:
                    > That's no surprise, since most likely this wasn't shot at f/4 which
                    > would be needed to produce an effective resolution of 320 GP for a
                    > spherical panorama. Higher aperture values cause more blurring due to
                    > diffraction. Seehttp://wiki.panotools.org/Diffraction#Resolution for
                    > details. The extender doesn't increase the resolution since the
                    > effective aperture is changed as well: The table shows the same values
                    > for 800mm f/8 and 400mm f/4.

                    I was informed that actually the panorama was shot at f/2.8 which means
                    effective f/5.6 at 800mm. The diffraction limit for a spherical panorama
                    shot with that parameters is almost 900 gigapixel. Hence the resolution
                    of the panorama is well within the physical limits. Sorry for false
                    assumption!

                  • Luca Vascon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 23, 2013
                      No need for a pole!!
                      Only the stitch of 4 or more partial panos.

                      2013/2/24 SKAL <sir_kalot@...>
                      Il 22/02/2013 11:20, panokaemena@... ha scritto:
                      > The pole has a hight of 177m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

                      I was not talking about the tower itself, but the pole where you
                      installed the panohead ... :)

                      SKAL

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional