Re: [PanoToolsNG] 320

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21 10:39 PM
      Great work Jeffrey, saw you on national TV this week - fascinating story
      behind how the pano was created. Good to put a face to the name"
      Rob
      --

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22 12:51 AM
        Hi,

        sorry for the maybe silly question, but how tall was the pole you used
        to do this great job ?

        There is somewhere the stream in the net about your job?

        SKAL

        Il 22/02/2013 00:20, Jeffrey Martin ha scritto:

        > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
        >
        > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on
        > TV yesterday.
        >
        > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 22 1:29 AM
          A really impressive result with excellent sharpness maintained even when zoomed right in. However there is a disturbing abrupt change in image quality as you zoom out - and not a change for the better, either. There's a nasty heavy handed processed look - presumably an attempt to brighten up a dull, low contrast image.

          John

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

          > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
          >
          > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on TV
          > yesterday.
          >
          > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

        • panokaemena
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 22 2:20 AM
            The pole has a hight of 177m   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

            Willz

            On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:51, SKAL <sir_kalot@...> wrote:

            Hi,

            sorry for the maybe silly question, but how tall was the pole you used
            to do this great job ?

            There is somewhere the stream in the net about your job?

            SKAL

            Il 22/02/2013 00:20, Jeffrey Martin ha scritto:

            > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
            >
            > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on
            > TV yesterday.
            >
            > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

          • Fernando Costa Pinto
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 22 5:18 AM
              This one is beautifull too ..and has audio from the places you zoom !! very very well done ..
              ah ..and the pole has a high of  309,6 m srsrs

              On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM, <panokaemena@...> wrote:

              The pole has a hight of 177m   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

              Willz

              On Feb 22, 2013, at 9:51, SKAL <sir_kalot@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              sorry for the maybe silly question, but how tall was the pole you used
              to do this great job ?

              There is somewhere the stream in the net about your job?

              SKAL

              Il 22/02/2013 00:20, Jeffrey Martin ha scritto:

              > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
              >
              > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me on
              > TV yesterday.
              >
              > http://btlondon2012.co.uk/pano.html

              --
              71 9906 9966 vivo
              71 9173 2722 tim
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 22 5:19 AM

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 22 12:06 PM
                  Am 22.02.2013 10:29, schrieb John Houghton:
                  > A really impressive result with excellent sharpness maintained even
                  > when zoomed right in. However there is a disturbing abrupt change in
                  > image quality as you zoom out - and not a change for the better,
                  > either. There's a nasty heavy handed processed look - presumably an
                  > attempt to brighten up a dull, low contrast image.

                  If you zoom in you get a good resolution until there is a step where
                  another image is loaded. Not perfectly registered and with different
                  contrast. This image doesn't add more details. It only increases the image.

                  That's no surprise, since most likely this wasn't shot at f/4 which
                  would be needed to produce an effective resolution of 320 GP for a
                  spherical panorama. Higher aperture values cause more blurring due to
                  diffraction. See http://wiki.panotools.org/Diffraction#Resolution for
                  details. The extender doesn't increase the resolution since the
                  effective aperture is changed as well: The table shows the same values
                  for 800mm f/8 and 400mm f/4.

                  This is the end of the gigapixel race.

                • hdrv
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 23 12:20 AM
                    Le 22 févr. 13 à 03:20, Jeffrey Martin a écrit :

                    > i stitched a new pano, shot by myself, holger schulze, and tom mills.
                    >
                    > we made it mostly to annoy hans nyberg but it also managed to get me
                    > on TV yesterday.

                    your motivation is so small that i think this image is not worth
                    looking at.

                    Romuald
                  • SKAL
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24 2:07 AM
                      Il 22/02/2013 11:20, panokaemena@... ha scritto:
                      > The pole has a hight of 177m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

                      I was not talking about the tower itself, but the pole where you
                      installed the panohead ... :)

                      SKAL
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 16, 2013
                        Am 22.02.2013 21:06, schrieb Erik Krause:
                        > That's no surprise, since most likely this wasn't shot at f/4 which
                        > would be needed to produce an effective resolution of 320 GP for a
                        > spherical panorama. Higher aperture values cause more blurring due to
                        > diffraction. Seehttp://wiki.panotools.org/Diffraction#Resolution for
                        > details. The extender doesn't increase the resolution since the
                        > effective aperture is changed as well: The table shows the same values
                        > for 800mm f/8 and 400mm f/4.

                        I was informed that actually the panorama was shot at f/2.8 which means
                        effective f/5.6 at 800mm. The diffraction limit for a spherical panorama
                        shot with that parameters is almost 900 gigapixel. Hence the resolution
                        of the panorama is well within the physical limits. Sorry for false
                        assumption!

                      • Luca Vascon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2013
                          No need for a pole!!
                          Only the stitch of 4 or more partial panos.

                          2013/2/24 SKAL <sir_kalot@...>
                          Il 22/02/2013 11:20, panokaemena@... ha scritto:
                          > The pole has a hight of 177m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower

                          I was not talking about the tower itself, but the pole where you
                          installed the panohead ... :)

                          SKAL

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional