Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Technical question on PT coordinate system

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
      On 2013-02-17 6:47 AM, Erik Krause wrote:
      > Am 16.02.2013 15:54, schrieb Thomas:
      >> 1] do all PT family stitchers use the same coordinate system as original
      >> PanoTools?
      > As for Yaw, Roll and Pitch: Yes, as far as I know. The TrX, TrY, TrZ
      > mosaic coordinate model is unique to hugin/nona. PTGui uses a different
      > model with 5 coordinates: VPx, VPy, VPz, VPpan and VPtilt. They are not
      > documented (AFAIK) but Helmut Dersch found them out for himself and
      > implemented them in PTStitcherNG.
      From Helmut: "PTGui uses a 2-axis pan/tilt + 3-d translation, in that order"
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/39331

      Dev Ghosh who originally worked on the mosic mode for Hugin during a GSoC, but
      never got finished, has just posted on the hugin-ptx list, "mosaic mode with
      intuitive warp parameters", that he is implementing his original method to
      create orthogonal views.

      > Furthermore PTGui uses PTStitcher o-line C-coordinates while hugin/nona
      > use S-coordinates. That means hugin coordinates are relative to the
      > complete source image while PTGui coordinates are relative to the
      > cropped image specified by the C-coodinates (the crop rectangle/circle).
      > See
      > http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher#o-line_options for details
      Yes the GUIs of PTGui and Hugin use different cropping models.
      PTStitcher definitely understands both.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
        Thank you Jim and Erik.

        The references on PTStitcher are helpful.

        I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to apply PTGui y,p,r to a panosphere having a right-handed coordinate system (meaning my X axis points left) Like PT, view is centered on (0,0,1) at y=p=r=0. Inverting the X axis in the rotation matrix seems to give correct alignments, however my projection mapping fns then fail.

        I need to invert the hand again without losing the alignment, this is surely possible but I can't find the right way to do it.

        Alternatively I could revert to left-handed coords, which Panini used for a long time, but I feel a bit stubborn since it took some effort to convert everything to right-handed.

        -- Tom

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2013
          Am 17.02.2013 21:07, schrieb Thomas:
          > I need to invert the hand again without losing the alignment, this is
          > surely possible but I can't find the right way to do it.

          Read on Euler angles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles

          (This is the exact point where my knowledge ends ;-)