Nikon 1 V1

  • Paul Fretheim
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2013
      I got a Nikon 1 V1, the Nikon entry into the mirrorless camera arena,
      yesterday and took the first pictures with it today. It takes RAW 10
      megapixel images at 14 bit, I think, I'll have to check that.

      I am happy with the image quality. I have a Nikon D200 and I think the
      V1 matches or maybe even surpasses the images from the much bigger and
      heavier D200. It doesn't have the good bracketing capabilities of the
      D200, so if I am going to be photographing Sequoia groves or something I
      will still need to lug the DSLR gear, but for most uses the N1 looks
      like it is going to work.

      The interpretive staff at Grand Canyon National Park commissioned me in
      2011 to shoot a panoramic image from Plateau Point inside the Canyon
      that is now an 18' x 6' mural that is the main attraction at one end of
      the new main visitors center, right next to the entrance to the theater
      where they screen the Ken Burns film on the Grand Canyon in continuous
      loop. I shot that image with the ten megapixel D200. (many, like 175,
      exposures stitched to the final image using an 85 mm (in 35 mm terms) lens.

      The kit with the V1 and the 10-30 and the 30-110mm lenses is still
      available at B&H and is priced at an $800 discount at $399. They won't
      last long, so if you have been debating getting into the mirrorless
      world, now is the time.

      http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/11/14/the-nikon-v1-camera-review-the-camera-i-expected-to-hate/

      http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/16/camera-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-about-the-sensor-and-love-the-camera-by-craig-litten/

      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Category_Mirrorless+System+Cameras&ci=16158&N=4288586281+4291315846

      Sample pano at 1/4 resolution. Shot with raw with the 30-110mm in
      program mode and iso 100 at 35.89 mm focal length. 8 images

      http://inyopro.com/images/carson_and_colorado_.5.jpg

      That train is at the Eastern California Museum about 2 blocks from my
      house. The Carson and Colorado was a steam powered narrow gauge railroad
      that ran through the length of the Owens Valley up until 1960.
      Unfortunately no one understood the tourism value of old steam trains
      and the tracks were torn up and sold for scrap. We have a locomotive
      here in Independence that we are restoring and will be laying a mile or
      so of track so we can run the train at least a little bit.

      Paul Fretheim