Re: [PanoToolsNG] Html5 xml and image encyrption

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 82 , Feb 10, 2013
      Totally agree.  These miniatures are here to stay (for quite a while)... and my personal dislike for phones (in general) and limited-use tablets is just that: MY dislike. And then there are my big hands and fading vision, which works for ME to disregard these things for my personal and private use if I can at all use something else instead.  These things need support as widely as possible, no matter if it is a closed proprietary system ran by megalomaniatic corporation or an open source solution that can only provide a "half-way" platform to build things on.  That is a fact one should not disregard (as I have done), but if things were fractioned even more... creating a need for 100 different panorama engines, 50 different browsers etc, to provide everyone who might be interested in viewing panos, it should be clear to everyone that there is a need for ONE platform that works equally well on EVERY device.  We can't have 5 completely different protocols for devices to access the internet, it won't serve the greater good to cut the net up in that way.

      Trausti

      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

      On 10 Feb 2013, at 16:23, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

      I don't find much REAL use for displaying panos on phones and small tablets

      While some don't, others do. For example, the two different organisations I'm doing pano work for at the moment both have mobile device support as a primary requirement. In my experience, iOS-friendly panos are a must, right here and now. Willy's recent posting of iOS usage stats is also interesting, and it shows that these so-called iToy things are getting significant use.

      Ormar made an interesting point; we *are* aiming for ever-higher resolution panoramas but have to accommodate devices with tighter memory requirements and smaller screens than we've seen on the desktop for a while. But we're still delivering to desktop-OS devices as well, and higher-res originals mean we can be more precise about production accuracy before we optimise output for smaller screens. (If anyone finds their work is always larger than they need, shoot and process at lower resolutions and speed up the workflow!)

      I teach publishing up to postgrad level, and I'm the technical editor of a major computer magazine; it's my business to have considered, professional opinions on these topics. Support these devices or don't, it's everyone's choice. But trust me, even if you don't like them, they're here to stay and they are a major part of everyone's future, one way or another. Hence my choice in tools.

    • nonchiedercilaparola
      Message 82 of 82 , May 20, 2013