Re: [PanoToolsNG] Html5 xml and image encyrption

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 82 , Feb 10 9:24 AM
      Yes, Google Maps do have multi resolution tiles... easy to do since it is flat 2-dimensional.  Having the same applied to panoramas ... not so easy or straight forward, because of processing power needed in relation to positioning all the tiles in the 3 dimensional space where the tiles have to work flawlessly.  If equirectanguar images could be used for panos in mobile devices (while online and not as apps), this would be a straight forward thing to do, but we are limited to having to use cubefaces, and that is where the problem is.  If Flash (sorry for bringing that up again) hadn't been killed off on mobiles, there would indeed be a solution available for multi resolution... but as we all know, that's not how it was supposed to be.

      Trausti

      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

      I completely agree with Erik here. Recent tablets have great screen resolution too, and that's why I think somebody really really needs to figure out this multi-resolution thing. Downscaling my panos to 1/5th of their resolution pains me so much, loosing all that detail, it almost makes the whole thing worthless.

      Googlemaps can do multi-resolution tiles without crashing. Not sure how they unload the memory, maybe they just recycle filenames of tiles that are currently out-of-view, but there must be some way…  I'm serious, multi-resolution is a core functionality that we really need!

      Blochi

      On Feb 10, 2013, at 7:23 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

      And given the fact that small monitors are held much closer to the eye
      usually, they are not that bad resolution-wise. Since a smartphone has
      approximately the size of your hand, just hold your hand in front of
      your monitor such that it is covered completely. This would be the
      distance to watch a pano at the same angle as on your monitor.

    • nonchiedercilaparola
      Message 82 of 82 , May 20, 2013