Re: [PanoToolsNG] Html5 xml and image encyrption

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 82 , Feb 5, 2013
      On 5 Feb 2013, at 15:32, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

      When people claim "this doesn't work" - when it does demonstrably work, what is their end game?  Why is it such a bad thing when I request proof of such claims?  Taking screenshots is not breaking encryption... not even close, as you have proven with your demonstration.

      You're quite right, but don't forget the water was muddied earlier when we were talking about screenshots and you said you were looking at ways to prevent this. I'm glad you chose not to go down that route – or at least it looks like you haven't. As someone who writes magazine articles, it would be a show-stopper for considering writing about a panorama for a news story or a feature article if I couldn't take a screenshot of it in a browser. Well, I still doubt it's possible to prevent on a Mac, but I also think the concept as a whole is more negative than positive. This is entirely separate from encrypting image and code data so it can't be lifted wholesale from a page.

      It looks like you may have managed encryption that is effective at the practical level for locking down the cubefaces. I was able to find the paths to the items in the directory, but they wouldn't load using the standard 'lazy' acquisitive method. With encryption there's no such thing as *totally* uncrackable, not literally, but that doesn't mean that something can be uncrackable at a *practical* level.

      Do I win something by being right?  Do others lose something by being wrong?  I don't think so.  I actually think that those who have been proven wrong, are the ones who WIN something by gaining knowledge they didn't have earlier.

      Actually, we ALL win when we learn something, whether it's because we were proved right or wrong. But we do have to stop arguing long enough to notice it first. :-)

    • nonchiedercilaparola
      Message 82 of 82 , May 20, 2013