Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Html5 xml and image encyrption

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 82 , Feb 5, 2013
      When people claim "this doesn't work" - when it does demonstrably work, what is their end game?  Why is it such a bad thing when I request proof of such claims?  Taking screenshots is not breaking encryption... not even close, as you have proven with your demonstration.  People talking about something being useless because they can't access it with their crippled by design equipment, is just childish (and they can't even bypass the security with those playthings.... which just proves even further that things work as intended.

      If people don't want to try and make their things less stealable - fine!  That's their choice.  Most of what I put online is not protected, but there are projects that I do need to apply extra protection to, and in those cases it is good to have the extra tools available.  What is wrong with that?  In my opinion: nothing.

      As far as I can read, this thread was not started to discuss the frequency of posts in the FPP forums or what I should be spending my time on.  The thread is about encrypting for security, there were claims that it doesn't work, I put up a project to prove said claims wrong, claims continued without proof, and I tested the claims, unable to get the claimed results (which were just theoretical ideas to begin with)... and I am asked what I expect to win?

      Maybe I expect people to stop putting up false claims?  That would be a good thing to "win" ... don't you think?

      If someone spends X time and effort on building a tour, only to have a competitor to rip off the xml and build a similar tour ... even using the panoramic images ... it would be a bad experience.  Of course, if people are only making spinning images without any design or functions and features involved, the loss would be insignificant if the xml structure is stolen... which is possibly why some people don't see it as a problem, since they haven't created anything of such value?  There have been several cases of panorama imagery theft, where thieves have stolen the original project files and used those as part of their own portfolio.  NONE of the cases I know of have involved the thieves making screenshots and rebuilding the imagery on their end.  Not ONE case.  Sure such things CAN be done (with serious degradation of image quality), but to the best of my knowledge, it has never been done in real life situations, while I know of several instances of deliberate theft of the original images and xml files from projects.... even the entire projects.  So calling encryption and other security features for "useless", is just plain wrong, and needs to be addressed.

      Do I win something by being right?  Do others lose something by being wrong?  I don't think so.  I actually think that those who have been proven wrong, are the ones who WIN something by gaining knowledge they didn't have earlier.

      Trausti

      On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM, giant_klobasa_monster <panoramas@...> wrote:

      +1

      trausti, what exactly is your end game? what are you trying to win?

    • nonchiedercilaparola
      Message 82 of 82 , May 20, 2013