Nikon D800 & Nodal Ninja/Fanotec review posted on vrphotography.com

  • Scott Highton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
      VR friends,

      I have just posted an in-depth review of the Nikon D800 / D800e camera on the vrphotography.com web site.

      The extensive review, done from particular viewpoint of VR photographers, also includes discussion of Nodal Ninja pan heads and Fanotec poles in relation to their use with the D800.

      Please feel free to send your comments, and to forward the link to your social media and online communities.

      Regards,

      Scott

      Scott Highton
      Author, Virtual Reality Photography
    • harrypanorama
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
        Thanks for sharing!
        "What's New: February, 2012"
        Must be a typo on your homepage.

        Harry

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton wrote:

        > VR friends,
        >
        > I have just posted an in-depth review of the Nikon D800 / D800e camera
        > on the vrphotography.com web site.
        >
        > The extensive review, done from particular viewpoint of VR
        > photographers, also includes discussion of Nodal Ninja pan heads and
        > Fanotec poles in relation to their use with the D800.
        >
        > See: http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/nikond800review0213.html
        >
        > Please feel free to send your comments, and to forward the link to
        > your social media and online communities.
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > Scott
        >
        > Scott Highton
        > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
        > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

      • giant_klobasa_monster
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
          Wow, what an in-depth article, really great!

          just reading through it now. i see this:

          "For example, by shooting with a Nikkor 16mm full frame fisheye lens, you can capture an entire spherical view for effective stitching with six images (pan 60° between each) plus zenith (straight up) and nadir (straight down). If you shot these with a Nikon D3 (a 12 megapixel camera) at full resolution, your stitched panorama winds up about 11,000 x 5,500 pixels (or 170MB). Doing the same thing with a D800 yields a stitched panorama roughly 19,800 x 9,900 pixels (560MB). While this is great for high resolution wall prints and enlargements, it's impractically large for most interactive VR panoramas published on the web."

          but if you publish panos in multiresolution there is no issue with file size / resolution, right?
          (i know, not yet on iOS but that will be solved)

          Jeffrey

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton wrote:

          > VR friends,
          >
          > I have just posted an in-depth review of the Nikon D800 / D800e camera
          > on the vrphotography.com web site.
          >
          > The extensive review, done from particular viewpoint of VR
          > photographers, also includes discussion of Nodal Ninja pan heads and
          > Fanotec poles in relation to their use with the D800.
          >
          > See: http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/nikond800review0213.html
          >
          > Please feel free to send your comments, and to forward the link to
          > your social media and online communities.
          >
          > Regards,
          >

          > Scott
          >
          > Scott Highton
          > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
          > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2013
            No multires on iOS in sight, and you will be surprised what the number of files generated with multires will do to your uploadspeed.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "giant_klobasa_monster" wrote:

            > Wow, what an in-depth article, really great!
            >
            > just reading through it now. i see this:
            >
            > "For example, by shooting with a Nikkor 16mm full frame fisheye lens, you can capture an entire spherical view for effective stitching with six images (pan 60° between each) plus zenith (straight up) and nadir (straight down). If you shot these with a Nikon D3 (a 12 megapixel camera) at full resolution, your stitched panorama winds up about 11,000 x 5,500 pixels (or 170MB). Doing the same thing with a D800 yields a stitched panorama roughly 19,800 x 9,900 pixels (560MB). While this is great for high resolution wall prints and enlargements, it's impractically large for most interactive VR panoramas published on the web."
            >
            > but if you publish panos in multiresolution there is no issue with file size / resolution, right?
            > (i know, not yet on iOS but that will be solved)
            >

            > Jeffrey
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton wrote:
            > >
            > > VR friends,
            > >
            > > I have just posted an in-depth review of the Nikon D800 / D800e camera
            > > on the vrphotography.com web site.
            > >
            > > The extensive review, done from particular viewpoint of VR
            > > photographers, also includes discussion of Nodal Ninja pan heads and
            > > Fanotec poles in relation to their use with the D800.
            > >
            > > See: http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/nikond800review0213.html
            > >
            > > Please feel free to send your comments, and to forward the link to
            > > your social media and online communities.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >

            > > Scott
            > >
            > > Scott Highton
            > > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
            > > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

          • Sam Rohn
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
              here is an example D800 + nikkor 16mm pano at full res w krpano multires, 1956x 9248px equi, 847 tiles, 32mb final multires output

              http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/manhattan-rooftop/

              and D800 + shaved nikkor 10.5 for comparison, 10888x5444px, about 170 tiles, 12mb multires

              http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/lower-manhattan-blackout/

              sam

              Sam Rohn :: New York City
              Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
              Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com
              PanoPress :: http://www.panopress.org

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" wrote:

              > No multires on iOS in sight, and you will be surprised what the number of files generated with multires will do to your uploadspeed.
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "giant_klobasa_monster" wrote:
              > >

              > > Wow, what an in-depth article, really great!
              > >
              > > just reading through it now. i see this:
              > >
              > > "For example, by shooting with a Nikkor 16mm full frame fisheye lens, you can capture an entire spherical view for effective stitching with six images (pan 60° between each) plus zenith (straight up) and nadir (straight down). If you shot these with a Nikon D3 (a 12 megapixel camera) at full resolution, your stitched panorama winds up about 11,000 x 5,500 pixels (or 170MB). Doing the same thing with a D800 yields a stitched panorama roughly 19,800 x 9,900 pixels (560MB). While this is great for high resolution wall prints and enlargements, it's impractically large for most interactive VR panoramas published on the web."
              > >
              > > but if you publish panos in multiresolution there is no issue with file size / resolution, right?
              > > (i know, not yet on iOS but that will be solved)
              > >

              > > Jeffrey
              > >

              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Highton wrote:
              > > >
              > > > VR friends,
              > > >
              > > > I have just posted an in-depth review of the Nikon D800 / D800e camera
              > > > on the vrphotography.com web site.
              > > >
              > > > The extensive review, done from particular viewpoint of VR
              > > > photographers, also includes discussion of Nodal Ninja pan heads and
              > > > Fanotec poles in relation to their use with the D800.
              > > >
              > > > See: http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/casestudies/nikond800review0213.html
              > > >
              > > > Please feel free to send your comments, and to forward the link to
              > > > your social media and online communities.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > >

              > > > Scott
              > > >
              > > > Scott Highton
              > > > Author, Virtual Reality Photography
              > > > Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

            • Vortex
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                So what's the ideal maximum equirect size for the 10.5mm and 16mm Nikkor fisheyes on the D800's 36MP sensor? What's the method for calculating this for different sensor resolutions?

                Sent by iPad

                On 3 Feb 2013, at 02:51, "Sam Rohn" <nylocations@...> wrote:

                here is an example D800 + nikkor 16mm pano at full res w krpano multires, 1956x 9248px equi, 847 tiles, 32mb final multires output

                http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/manhattan-rooftop/

                and D800 + shaved nikkor 10.5 for comparison, 10888x5444px, about 170 tiles, 12mb multires

                http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/lower-manhattan-blackout/

                sam

                Sam Rohn :: New York City
                Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
                Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com
                PanoPress :: http://www.panopress.org

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                  Not only that, but people are running into their hosting account inode limit, finding themselves forced to look for new hosting services, having to move all their content from current hosting partner and set up things on the new hosting account, where they hope to be safe from the same or similar problems.  When people make multires panos, it is not enough they have a hosting account that promises "unlimited this and unlimited that"... there are limitations, and the inode is probably the worst of the limits that are not openly announced as "unlimited".  Most people have no idea there is such a limit, and that it can mess up their life.

                  Inode limits only apply to UNIX and Linux servers, while Windows based servers are free from this.  The limit is reached if there are too many files being uploaded to the hosting account.  I know of someone in the panorama community who changed to a new hosting company after having different issues with the previous one... and a month later his account was full.  He couldn't upload any more files to it.

                  This is something people need to keep in mind when making multires panos and when choosing hosting partners.

                  Trausti

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                    Am 03.02.2013 13:23, schrieb Vortex:
                    > So what's the ideal maximum equirect size for the 10.5mm and 16mm
                    > Nikkor fisheyes on the D800's 36MP sensor? What's the method for
                    > calculating this for different sensor resolutions?

                    70% of what PTGui gives you as maximum resolution.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 3, 2013
                      Am 03.02.2013 23:44, schrieb Erik Krause:
                      >> >So what's the ideal maximum equirect size for the 10.5mm and 16mm
                      >> >Nikkor fisheyes on the D800's 36MP sensor? What's the method for
                      >> >calculating this for different sensor resolutions?

                      > 70% of what PTGui gives you as maximum resolution.

                      And the calculation is found here:
                      http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution