Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: How to create a high resolution image of a hammer

  • Gerhard Killesreiter

      > In fact any combination of close-up lens and base lens should work
      > if some kind of extension tube is used which places the focal point
      > of the close-up lens in the entrance pupil of the base lens, which
      > effectively projects the entrance pupil and hence the
      > no-parallax-point at infinity behind the camera.

      Is there a tutorial how I can determine which add-on lens I need to
      buy for a given macro lens?

      I have a Sigma 105mm macro.

      Cheers,
      Gerhard

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
        Am 26.01.2013 15:59, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
        >> >In fact any combination of close-up lens and base lens should work
        >> >if some kind of extension tube is used which places the focal point
        >> >of the close-up lens in the entrance pupil of the base lens, which
        >> >effectively projects the entrance pupil and hence the
        >> >no-parallax-point at infinity behind the camera.
        >
        > Is there a tutorial how I can determine which add-on lens I need to
        > buy for a given macro lens?

        I don't know of any. However, it's not limited to macro lenses, any lens
        will do as a base lens. First determine where the no-parallax-point
        (NPP) of the base lens is just as for panorama shooting. Next calculate
        the focal length of the close-up lens, it's 1/dpt in meters. So if it
        has 2 dpt (diopters) the focal length is 50cm. Place the close-up lens
        by it's focal length in front of the NPP of the base lens. In our
        example you should place it 50cm in front of the NPP.
        You can even use an inverted other lens if you don't have a close-up
        lens, like Rik did in his setup:
        http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032
        In this case the correct position must be found by try and error

        Another combo can be found here:
        http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18323

        For more one telecentric macro shooting search Rik's page for
        "telecentr": http://janrik.net/RiksLinks.html

      • Lionel
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
          Companies like JD Edwards, Melles Griot and other have some tutorials that explain exactly what "telecentricity" is. Based on my research on this topic, your best resource will be the links to photomacrography.net that were posted earlier. As far as I can tell, this is relatively novel ground for photographers in general; Rik Littlefield's articles are the best I've found.

          Regards

        • Rick Drew
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013

            I’ve also used my desktop scanner. My old model would do legal size scans up to 4800 dpi. I’d scan old coins at some phenomenal resolution.