Re: [PanoToolsNG] How to level the pole

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
      The pole does not need to be level. The camera lens needs to rotate around the
      No Parallax Point.

      In a crowd scene where the pictures need to be taken quickly to avoid people
      moving use a motorized that rotates the camera for you. Don't give the pole time
      to tilt.

      When the sun is out look at the shadow of the camera cast by the sun. Stand on
      the side of the pole where you can see the pole and the shadow. As you rotate
      the pole make sure the camera stays in the same relative position. If you are
      going to fill in the nadir after you also want the camera in the same spot. To
      do the nadir I walk away several feet. Raise the pole from the ground to my
      waist and hold it out at an angle.

      Instead of a shadow, can also use reflections or a third person.

      Easiest is to have split level on the pole keep the pole vertical. Don't over
      extend the pole.

      Even a bending pole like this.
      https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3915874/jimwithpole.jpg

      Give me this.
      http://photocreations.ca/camp/index.html?thanksgiving_2012_2#thanksgiving_2012_2

      The pole and camera out over the edge becomes very heavy. The fear of the water
      does not help. rotating the pole on the edge would cause it to roll and come
      loose where it is tucked into the edge of two boards.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
        You don´t have to level perfect your pole. If it´s reasonably level, you will feel it: it will be easy to rotate. If you really need live view, google a fpv solution, like this ones: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_50

        2013/1/25 SKAL <sir_kalot@...>

        Il 25/01/2013 11:08, Andy Anderson ha scritto:

        Google Eye-fi. ...it is a storage card that will wifi images from ur camera to a tablet or laptop

        Hi Andy, this looks like a interestin stuff, the "problem" is that you can see the foto once it is done. As far I can see is that it gives you not the lifeview.

        Other thing is that the original questio was to know how to be sure that the pole is straight and you took all the panorama...

        anyway thank you for your answare :)

        SKAL

        --
        L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
        felipe@...

      • John Riley
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013

          On Jan 25, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

          Even a bending pole like this.
          https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3915874/jimwithpole.jpg

          Nice catch! My pond only has fish in it.

          John Riley
          4Pi-VR Media Solutions
          http://4pi-vr.com
          johnriley@...
          (h)864-461-3504
          (c)864-431-7075
          (w)864-503-5775

        • giant_klobasa_monster
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
            eye-fi card is a bit clunky and cludgey, i don't like it.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, SKAL wrote:

            > Il 25/01/2013 11:08, Andy Anderson ha scritto:
            > > Google Eye-fi. ...it is a storage card that will wifi images from ur
            > > camera to a tablet or laptop
            >
            > Hi Andy, this looks like a interestin stuff, the "problem" is that you
            > can see the foto once it is done. As far I can see is that it gives you
            > not the lifeview.
            >
            > Other thing is that the original questio was to know how to be sure that
            > the pole is straight and you took all the panorama...
            >
            > anyway thank you for your answare :)
            >
            > SKAL

          • b_dohrmann
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 29, 2013