Re: How to create a high resolution image of a hammer

  • giant_klobasa_monster
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2013
      Unless I misunderstand, if you use a telecentric lens, you can more effectively stitch images by shifting the camera left-right and up-down, rather than rotating it around a point.

      Maybe you could mount a camera (with telecentric lens) on a kind of 2d plotter assembly, and shoot an object by pretending the camera sensor is a scanner?

      Or am I mistaken? :)

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, paul womack wrote:

      > johntunley wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I want to create a series of high resolution (about 24,000 x 12,000 pixels) images for large prints (about 2m x 1m) of hand tools, initially a hammer. The hammer is laid flat on a white background and I am using a Sony NEX7 supported on an RRS pano head and a Gitzo tripod. Importing the resulting TIFFs from Photoshop into PTGui gives me an well stitched rectilinear image.
      > >
      > > My problem is with depth of field. Using a Minolta 100mm Macro lens on an adaptor, the camera sensor is about 1.1m above the hammer. There is not enough depth of field at f8 to give sharp detail over the extremities of the handle and hammer head. The lens is also covering too wide a field of view such that I am only stitching from 4 images and achieving about half the desired resolution. If I were to use a lens of longer focal length to reduce the angle of view, and then take more images to increase the resolution, the depth of field would also reduce further.
      > >
      > > I can reduce the aperture further, perhaps down to f22, but this will lead to loss of sharpness due to diffraction. Maybe I need to consider a longer lens and focus stacking? Any other ideas? This is self-funded and I'm not looking to buy a very high resolution camera!
      >
      > You will want to select your camera-object distance to control
      > perspective effects - extreme close ups (allowed
      > by wide angle lenses) can look very odd.
      >
      > And - yes - you need focus stacking. But I'm not clear about the maths
      > of combining focus stacking (using a macro-slide) and a pano head,
      > since I suspect the movement of the slide will move the NP point.
      >
      > I have done a hi-res non-mosaic (in Hugin terms) scan/photograph of a map
      > in this way (no focus stacking)
      >
      > (around 12000 x 8000 pixels)
      >
      > http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/61023
      >
      > http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/70805
      >

      > BugBear

    • johntunley
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
        Thanks Erik,

        I looked at Zerene Stacker too but I found that Photoshop did a good job, at least in this instance, so I stayed with the software I had available. If time permits, I'll compare the Photoshop results with Zerene and Helicon.

        The final images will be shown in the UK at Format:

        http://formatfestival.com

        Thanks for the link to the telecentric lens articles which are worth a more detailed look, unfortunately timescales prevent that just now.

        Regards,

        John T

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Erik Krause wrote:

        > Am 23.01.2013 11:44, schrieb johntunley:
        > > I don't at present have a focus slider so decided to give lens focus
        > > adjustment a try and produced two more stitched images at different
        > > focus planes..
        >
        > Inspired by your question I searched a bit and found Zerene Stacker, a
        > program made by a (former) member of this group, Rik Littlefield. There
        > is a lot of information at http://zerenesystems.com/ and interestingly
        > he favors the focus ring method.
        >
        > He is also administrator at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ where
        > you can find a real wealth of information, including how to create and
        > use a telecentric lens system, which allows for perspective-less focus
        > stacking and stitching.
        >
        > --
        > Erik Krause
        > http://www.erik-krause.de

      • David
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 25, 2013
          I've used Zerene stacker for many stacked macro photos. Form all the reviews I've been able to find it is one of the best.

          I also have an extra Melles Griot telecentric lens if anyone is interested. Here is a pan and stitched sample (not stacked):
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbur971/4732547090/in/set-72157627813468144

          Here is what the lens looks like:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbur971/4732535550/in/photostream

          Front of the lens is about 3" across, I use it with 55mm Nikkor macro lens as base lens. Seems to work with the Canon 50mm as well.

          It may require more images than you want for your hammer, but doable.

          David B

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
            Am 25.01.2013 11:43, schrieb johntunley:
            > Thanks for the link to the telecentric lens articles which are worth
            > a more detailed look, unfortunately timescales prevent that just
            > now.

            Just for the records: There are several combinations of standard lenses
            and standard achromatic close-up lenses that make up a (near)
            telecentric combo: f.e the Canon EF 100mm 1:2.8 IS USM macro lens
            together with a 5dpt close-up lens as well as the EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6
            IS USM (at 400mm) with a 2dpt close-up lens. Both must be used at near
            focus.

            I've discovered both accidentally when playing around with close-up
            lenses I happen to own. For the EF 100mm I used a step down ring
            (67->58mm) which doesn't cause vignetting and allows to use my
            collection of 58mm filters. It doesn't work with the older Canon 100mm
            macro lenses though...

            The 2dpt close-up lens is recycled from a 500mm f/8 Beroflex telephoto
            lens (where the back lens group was blinded by bad lens fungus). I use
            it with a step down ring (77->72mm). I mention this because the distance
            between close-up lens and base lens is critical.

            In fact any combination of close-up lens and base lens should work if
            some kind of extension tube is used which places the focal point of the
            close-up lens in the entrance pupil of the base lens, which effectively
            projects the entrance pupil and hence the no-parallax-point at infinity
            behind the camera.

          • Gerhard Killesreiter
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                Am 26.01.2013 15:59, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
                >> >In fact any combination of close-up lens and base lens should work
                >> >if some kind of extension tube is used which places the focal point
                >> >of the close-up lens in the entrance pupil of the base lens, which
                >> >effectively projects the entrance pupil and hence the
                >> >no-parallax-point at infinity behind the camera.
                >
                > Is there a tutorial how I can determine which add-on lens I need to
                > buy for a given macro lens?

                I don't know of any. However, it's not limited to macro lenses, any lens
                will do as a base lens. First determine where the no-parallax-point
                (NPP) of the base lens is just as for panorama shooting. Next calculate
                the focal length of the close-up lens, it's 1/dpt in meters. So if it
                has 2 dpt (diopters) the focal length is 50cm. Place the close-up lens
                by it's focal length in front of the NPP of the base lens. In our
                example you should place it 50cm in front of the NPP.
                You can even use an inverted other lens if you don't have a close-up
                lens, like Rik did in his setup:
                http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032
                In this case the correct position must be found by try and error

                Another combo can be found here:
                http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18323

                For more one telecentric macro shooting search Rik's page for
                "telecentr": http://janrik.net/RiksLinks.html

              • Lionel
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Companies like JD Edwards, Melles Griot and other have some tutorials that explain exactly what "telecentricity" is. Based on my research on this topic, your best resource will be the links to photomacrography.net that were posted earlier. As far as I can tell, this is relatively novel ground for photographers in general; Rik Littlefield's articles are the best I've found.

                  Regards

                • Rick Drew
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013

                    I’ve also used my desktop scanner. My old model would do legal size scans up to 4800 dpi. I’d scan old coins at some phenomenal resolution.