Re: Panos down to earth...

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
      The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the earth.
      As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my construction is also extremely small.

      The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.

      Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow free rotation.

      Cheers
      Jürgen

    • Gerhard Killesreiter
      • Rick Drew
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

          I actually made such a “mount” years ago. Used it for one of the WWP entries (http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp606/html/RichardCDrew-2192.html ).  Just take a 12” length of 3/8 24 threaded rod. Thread a nut down 3/4”, drop on a fender washer, then lock in place with epoxy. Slip on a rubber washer. Sharpen the opposite end on a bench grinder. Now you have a monopod “spike” – press into the ground, attach your pano head and shoot.

        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
            Exactly.
            Just like a standard tripod setup.
            Only difference is that the tripod mount is close to ground level and the "tripod" (in this case the metal tube) below surface level.