Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panos down to earth...

  • Gerhard Killesreiter

      Am 23.01.2013 11:06, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
      > You didn't specify how "deep" you want to get and what the ground
      > is made of. Given the right circumstances something like this can
      > easily be achieved
      > http://s3.bavaria360.de.s3.amazonaws.com/mushroom/pilz.html

      Great picture!

      That's about the distance I was thinking of, yes.

      Is there a "making of"?

      I also wish to thank the other contributors.

      The device used for creating the snake pano looks very interesting. It
      appears it is custom made, though.

      Regarding the comments a la "if you do not mind a litte photoshop
      work". I do mind, I don't have talent or patience for this. :(

      So I would prefer a method where I can feed the images into Hugin and
      then get a pano out.

      I was also thinking about methods that involve a mirror ball, but the
      balls that are available are mostly not of good optical quality and
      also, the camera would be in all the images unless I don't fotograph
      towards the center of the ball.

      Cheers,
      Gerhard

    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
        The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the earth.
        As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my construction is also extremely small.

        The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.

        Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow free rotation.

        Cheers
        Jürgen

      • Gerhard Killesreiter

          Am 23.01.2013 12:44, schrieb jrgen_schrader:
          > The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the
          > earth. As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my
          > construction is also extremely small.
          >
          > The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring
          > mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount
          > it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread
          > on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.
          >
          > Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow
          > free rotation.

          What was the orientation of the axis of rotation in this case? I
          assume vertical?

          Cheers,
          Gerhard

        • Rick Drew
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

            I actually made such a “mount” years ago. Used it for one of the WWP entries (http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp606/html/RichardCDrew-2192.html ).  Just take a 12” length of 3/8 24 threaded rod. Thread a nut down 3/4”, drop on a fender washer, then lock in place with epoxy. Slip on a rubber washer. Sharpen the opposite end on a bench grinder. Now you have a monopod “spike” – press into the ground, attach your pano head and shoot.

          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
              Exactly.
              Just like a standard tripod setup.
              Only difference is that the tripod mount is close to ground level and the "tripod" (in this case the metal tube) below surface level.