Re: Panos down to earth...

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
      You didn't specify how "deep" you want to get and what the ground is made of. Given the right circumstances something like this can easily be achieved http://s3.bavaria360.de.s3.amazonaws.com/mushroom/pilz.html

    • Gerhard Killesreiter
      • jrgen_schrader
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
          The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the earth.
          As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my construction is also extremely small.

          The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.

          Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow free rotation.

          Cheers
          Jürgen

        • Gerhard Killesreiter
          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

              I actually made such a “mount” years ago. Used it for one of the WWP entries (http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp606/html/RichardCDrew-2192.html ).  Just take a 12” length of 3/8 24 threaded rod. Thread a nut down 3/4”, drop on a fender washer, then lock in place with epoxy. Slip on a rubber washer. Sharpen the opposite end on a bench grinder. Now you have a monopod “spike” – press into the ground, attach your pano head and shoot.

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
                Exactly.
                Just like a standard tripod setup.
                Only difference is that the tripod mount is close to ground level and the "tripod" (in this case the metal tube) below surface level.