How to level the pole

  • SKAL
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
      Hi all,

      First of all thank you all for all the good sugestion I read every
      day on this group :)

      After some time of lurking, I've decided to ask you my first question.

      Some of you use long poles/monopod to take the pictures from a high
      point of view. (e.g. http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/Ktek_camel.jpg)
      How you know you are shooting the right thing? how you know that
      you shoot all the panorama without missing something? and how you are
      "sure" that the camera is horizontal (I think you cannot)?

      thank to all

      SKAL
    • Willy Kaemena
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
        To be sure that you have covered the 360, shoot some more than the required minimum e.g. 4 shots around.
        The pole has not to be vertical or the cam horizontal.. But you have simply to maintain the axis of rotation at any angle. Alignment will be done in your stitching program like ptgui.

        Sent from my iPad

        Willy Kaemena

        On 21.01.2013, at 09:20, SKAL <sir_kalot@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > First of all thank you all for all the good sugestion I read every
        > day on this group :)
        >
        > After some time of lurking, I've decided to ask you my first question.
        >
        > Some of you use long poles/monopod to take the pictures from a high
        > point of view. (e.g. http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/Ktek_camel.jpg)
        > How you know you are shooting the right thing? how you know that
        > you shoot all the panorama without missing something? and how you are
        > "sure" that the camera is horizontal (I think you cannot)?
        >
        > thank to all
        >
        > SKAL

      • Andy Anderson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
          Wifi card

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jan 21, 2013, at 2:21 AM, "SKAL" <sir_kalot@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > First of all thank you all for all the good sugestion I read every
          > day on this group :)
          >
          > After some time of lurking, I've decided to ask you my first question.
          >
          > Some of you use long poles/monopod to take the pictures from a high
          > point of view. (e.g. http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/Ktek_camel.jpg)
          > How you know you are shooting the right thing? how you know that
          > you shoot all the panorama without missing something? and how you are
          > "sure" that the camera is horizontal (I think you cannot)?
          >
          > thank to all
          >
          > SKAL

        • SKAL
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
            Il 21/01/2013 09:58, Willy Kaemena ha scritto:

            To be sure that you have covered the 360, shoot some more than the required minimum e.g. 4 shots around.
            The pole has not to be vertical or the cam horizontal.. But you have simply to maintain the axis of rotation at any angle. Alignment will be done in your stitching program like ptgui.

            Sent from my iPad

            Willy Kaemena

            Willy I agree with you about that, but this is the problem I was asking... hot to be shure to keep the same angle... And if the pole is quite long, any degree on the base, it is a big distance at the level of the camera...

            SKAL
          • SKAL
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
              Il 21/01/2013 10:33, Andy Anderson ha scritto:

              Wifi card

              Sent from my iPad

              What do you mean with that?
            • Andy Anderson

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
                  Il 25/01/2013 11:08, Andy Anderson ha scritto:

                  Google Eye-fi. ...it is a storage card that will wifi images from ur camera to a tablet or laptop

                  Hi Andy, this looks like a interestin stuff, the "problem" is that you can see the foto once it is done. As far I can see is that it gives you not the lifeview.

                  Other thing is that the original questio was to know how to be sure that the pole is straight and you took all the panorama...

                  anyway thank you for your answare :)

                  SKAL
                • Jim Watters
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
                    The pole does not need to be level. The camera lens needs to rotate around the
                    No Parallax Point.

                    In a crowd scene where the pictures need to be taken quickly to avoid people
                    moving use a motorized that rotates the camera for you. Don't give the pole time
                    to tilt.

                    When the sun is out look at the shadow of the camera cast by the sun. Stand on
                    the side of the pole where you can see the pole and the shadow. As you rotate
                    the pole make sure the camera stays in the same relative position. If you are
                    going to fill in the nadir after you also want the camera in the same spot. To
                    do the nadir I walk away several feet. Raise the pole from the ground to my
                    waist and hold it out at an angle.

                    Instead of a shadow, can also use reflections or a third person.

                    Easiest is to have split level on the pole keep the pole vertical. Don't over
                    extend the pole.

                    Even a bending pole like this.
                    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3915874/jimwithpole.jpg

                    Give me this.
                    http://photocreations.ca/camp/index.html?thanksgiving_2012_2#thanksgiving_2012_2

                    The pole and camera out over the edge becomes very heavy. The fear of the water
                    does not help. rotating the pole on the edge would cause it to roll and come
                    loose where it is tucked into the edge of two boards.

                    --
                    Jim Watters
                    http://photocreations.ca
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
                      You don´t have to level perfect your pole. If it´s reasonably level, you will feel it: it will be easy to rotate. If you really need live view, google a fpv solution, like this ones: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_50

                      2013/1/25 SKAL <sir_kalot@...>

                      Il 25/01/2013 11:08, Andy Anderson ha scritto:

                      Google Eye-fi. ...it is a storage card that will wifi images from ur camera to a tablet or laptop

                      Hi Andy, this looks like a interestin stuff, the "problem" is that you can see the foto once it is done. As far I can see is that it gives you not the lifeview.

                      Other thing is that the original questio was to know how to be sure that the pole is straight and you took all the panorama...

                      anyway thank you for your answare :)

                      SKAL

                      --
                      L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                      felipe@...

                    • John Riley
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013

                        On Jan 25, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Jim Watters wrote:

                        Even a bending pole like this.
                        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3915874/jimwithpole.jpg

                        Nice catch! My pond only has fish in it.

                        John Riley
                        4Pi-VR Media Solutions
                        http://4pi-vr.com
                        johnriley@...
                        (h)864-461-3504
                        (c)864-431-7075
                        (w)864-503-5775

                      • giant_klobasa_monster
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                          eye-fi card is a bit clunky and cludgey, i don't like it.

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, SKAL wrote:

                          > Il 25/01/2013 11:08, Andy Anderson ha scritto:
                          > > Google Eye-fi. ...it is a storage card that will wifi images from ur
                          > > camera to a tablet or laptop
                          >
                          > Hi Andy, this looks like a interestin stuff, the "problem" is that you
                          > can see the foto once it is done. As far I can see is that it gives you
                          > not the lifeview.
                          >
                          > Other thing is that the original questio was to know how to be sure that
                          > the pole is straight and you took all the panorama...
                          >
                          > anyway thank you for your answare :)
                          >
                          > SKAL

                        • b_dohrmann
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 29, 2013