RE: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panos down to earth...

  • Yazan Sboul
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 19, 2013

      Not sure if a better solution has already been offered or not, but I simply attached my atome panhead to a heavy base made from a jam jar filled with plaster. The atome fits snugly and can be detached (it just fits into the hole - no screws required), the weight of the plaster keeps the camera from tipping over and allows for turning the panohead without moving camera position. The small base can fit almost anywhere, I usually use it to take shots on restaurant tables but its been in the fridge, on shelves, and on car seats.

      Y.S

      > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      > From: erik.krause@...
      > Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:28:59 +0100
      > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panos down to earth...
      >
      > Am 18.01.2013 01:16, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
      > > I would like to create a pano that is close to the ground. The minimal
      > > distance my fisheye can do is about 20cm, so about that close.
      >
      > This one was done with my standard panorama head and a modified slik
      > mini tripod: http://pano.erik-krause.de/beginning/spring_qt.flash
      >
      > I replaced the center column of the tripod with one with a simple 3/4"
      > screw mount instead of the original head. Then I mounted my panorama
      > head <http://erik-krause.de/panohead/dscn3507_en.htm> directly on the
      > center column instead of the reversed ball head. The nadir shot was done
      > hand held. Some photoshop work was needed...
      >
      > --
      > Erik Krause
      > http://www.erik-krause.de

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > PanoToolsNG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
        You didn't specify how "deep" you want to get and what the ground is made of. Given the right circumstances something like this can easily be achieved http://s3.bavaria360.de.s3.amazonaws.com/mushroom/pilz.html

      • Gerhard Killesreiter
        • jrgen_schrader
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
            The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the earth.
            As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my construction is also extremely small.

            The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.

            Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow free rotation.

            Cheers
            Jürgen

          • Gerhard Killesreiter
            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

                I actually made such a “mount” years ago. Used it for one of the WWP entries (http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp606/html/RichardCDrew-2192.html ).  Just take a 12” length of 3/8 24 threaded rod. Thread a nut down 3/4”, drop on a fender washer, then lock in place with epoxy. Slip on a rubber washer. Sharpen the opposite end on a bench grinder. Now you have a monopod “spike” – press into the ground, attach your pano head and shoot.

              • jrgen_schrader
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Exactly.
                  Just like a standard tripod setup.
                  Only difference is that the tripod mount is close to ground level and the "tripod" (in this case the metal tube) below surface level.