Ancient large format fisheye lenses

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2013
      If you like looking at old fisheye lenses this article is a treat:
      http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/CZJ_Perimetar_Sphaerogon_Pleon/00_pag.htm (Google Translate does a good job) -- the pictures of the fisheye models are in the bottom 20% of the article. Interesting they were used in low level aerial photography and the same lens was used in the enlarger for printing. I always tended to think of the dewarping of fisheye lens images as a modern invention.

      PeterM
    • Ian Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2013
        On 18 Jan 2013, at 22:44, panovrx wrote:

        > Interesting they were used in low level aerial photography and the same lens was used in the enlarger for printing. I always tended to think of the dewarping of fisheye lens images as a modern invention.

        It was a bit unusual by then, but in the early days of enlarging it was pretty standard stuff to use the same lens for shooting and printing - partly for cost and partly because it 'automatically' corrects some distortion. There's still a few people who use large-format cameras as their enlarger!

        Ian