RE: [PanoToolsNG] Panos down to earth...

  • Mark D. Fink
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
      I can't remember if it was Yuval Levy or Andras Frenyo who had a weighted
      disc that they put beneath their camera with a short bolt to attach to the
      camera, but I do remember seeing it several years ago in NYC. That got them
      just a few inches off the ground, or tabletop if that is the location you
      are looking for. There was just the nadir to patch then, and that could be
      shot handheld.

      Mark

      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013

        If you don’t mind the extra photoshop work or room for errors.. you system should be ok.

        I use a plumb from the edge of the lens to place a dime. Then you can re-match position easily. You’ll also need to notate the height on the line.

        Better would be add an extension the center column and heavy weight the tripod to extend back over. This will put the areas to retouch much farther away and reduce the parallax error you introduced by repositioning, and reduce the number of edges to worry about.

        Best Regards,

        Sacha Griffin

        http://www.seeit360.com

        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

        http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

        IM: sachagriffin007@...

        Office: 404-551-4275

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
          The business end of that horizontal pole could also look something like this:

          <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/6059502647/in/photostream>

          This way you get your zenith and nadir where they usually are, something I prefer in most cases. Downside might be that you have to get close enough to the camera to turn it after each shot.

          I use the strongest Gitzo monopod I could get, and made an adapter to mount it horizontally on my tripod (with a counterweight). Do NOT use a Manfrotto monopod with a plastic camera plate (all of them I guess), it will flex and simply is not strong enough.

          Cheers!

          Erik Leeman

          <http://www.erikleeman.com>

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Michel Thoby wrote:

          > Thomas' shooting principle (that proposes to use a horizontal monopod) is sound and works. At least, a variant of it did work fine for me (I think):
          > http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp309/html/MichelThoby-5350.html
          > I have paradoxically used the huge Manfrotto 269HDBU 7.5 m long pole!
          > The legs were kept folded and the mast was partially extended (about 4 or 5 meters of the bigger tubes only). The whole thing was lying sideways on the ground. The camera was mounted on a NN 5L at the tip of the pole (as usual). The fisheye lens NNP was thus maintained fixed in 3D space, yet kept at about 15-20 cm above the ground just high enough to allow the camera to rotate around the horizontal pole axis: a small block of wood supported the upper part of the pole at about one meter from the camera.
          > Lot of room is needed when doing that way. Other means have to be devised and deployed if available space is scarce. An example: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Scholtes/Making-of.html
          >
          > Michel
        • Uri
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

            > I would like to create a pano that is close to the ground. The minimal
            > distance my fisheye can do is about 20cm, so about that close.
            >
            > The idea is to invert the middle column of the tripod and turn the
            > camera on its head. I can take three images around, but then I'll have
            > the legs of the tripod (and their shadow) in all of them. I think I
            > would need a 2nd set of images with the tripod rotated by 60°.
            >
            > Now my problem: How to I ensure that the camera is at exactly the same
            > place after rotating? I would think that this matters a lot since the
            > camera is close to the ground.

            I would build a simple, short philopod - tie a short piece of string around the no-parallax point of the lens and dangle some pointy weight from it. mount the camera so that the pointy weight is very close the ground. Mark that spot. Now you can shoot, reposition the camera around that spot at whatever angle you want to use, repeat until done.

            Another idea is to stick a central column of an old tripod and into the ground and mount your pano head on it.
          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
              I´ve done that height with a custom lens ring and a mini tripod: http://flic.kr/p/6pEgyB

              --
              L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
              felipe@...

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                Am 18.01.2013 01:16, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
                > I would like to create a pano that is close to the ground. The minimal
                > distance my fisheye can do is about 20cm, so about that close.

                This one was done with my standard panorama head and a modified slik
                mini tripod: http://pano.erik-krause.de/beginning/spring_qt.flash

                I replaced the center column of the tripod with one with a simple 3/4"
                screw mount instead of the original head. Then I mounted my panorama
                head <http://erik-krause.de/panohead/dscn3507_en.htm> directly on the
                center column instead of the reversed ball head. The nadir shot was done
                hand held. Some photoshop work was needed...

              • Yazan Sboul
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 19, 2013

                  Not sure if a better solution has already been offered or not, but I simply attached my atome panhead to a heavy base made from a jam jar filled with plaster. The atome fits snugly and can be detached (it just fits into the hole - no screws required), the weight of the plaster keeps the camera from tipping over and allows for turning the panohead without moving camera position. The small base can fit almost anywhere, I usually use it to take shots on restaurant tables but its been in the fridge, on shelves, and on car seats.

                  Y.S

                  > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: erik.krause@...
                  > Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:28:59 +0100
                  > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Panos down to earth...
                  >
                  > Am 18.01.2013 01:16, schrieb Gerhard Killesreiter:
                  > > I would like to create a pano that is close to the ground. The minimal
                  > > distance my fisheye can do is about 20cm, so about that close.
                  >
                  > This one was done with my standard panorama head and a modified slik
                  > mini tripod: http://pano.erik-krause.de/beginning/spring_qt.flash
                  >
                  > I replaced the center column of the tripod with one with a simple 3/4"
                  > screw mount instead of the original head. Then I mounted my panorama
                  > head <http://erik-krause.de/panohead/dscn3507_en.htm> directly on the
                  > center column instead of the reversed ball head. The nadir shot was done
                  > hand held. Some photoshop work was needed...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Erik Krause
                  > http://www.erik-krause.de

                  > <*> Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings online go to:
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings via email:
                  > PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > PanoToolsNG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • jrgen_schrader
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
                    You didn't specify how "deep" you want to get and what the ground is made of. Given the right circumstances something like this can easily be achieved http://s3.bavaria360.de.s3.amazonaws.com/mushroom/pilz.html

                  • Gerhard Killesreiter
                    • jrgen_schrader
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
                        The "trick" is to have a "panohead" that can be stuck into the earth.
                        As you can see from the nadir the footprint of my construction is also extremely small.

                        The principle is similar to other solutions. In this case a ring mount for camera and lens and an individual construction to mount it to the ground. Here I used a simple metal cylinder with a thread on top. Hard ground would need a different approach though.

                        Only limit is the height of the camerabody and/or lens to allow free rotation.

                        Cheers
                        Jürgen

                      • Gerhard Killesreiter
                        • Rick Drew
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013

                            I actually made such a “mount” years ago. Used it for one of the WWP entries (http://www.worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp606/html/RichardCDrew-2192.html ).  Just take a 12” length of 3/8 24 threaded rod. Thread a nut down 3/4”, drop on a fender washer, then lock in place with epoxy. Slip on a rubber washer. Sharpen the opposite end on a bench grinder. Now you have a monopod “spike” – press into the ground, attach your pano head and shoot.

                          • jrgen_schrader
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 23, 2013
                              Exactly.
                              Just like a standard tripod setup.
                              Only difference is that the tripod mount is close to ground level and the "tripod" (in this case the metal tube) below surface level.