Re: Next step?

  • harrypanorama
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
      So, firstly thanks for all the overwhelming responses.

      I have the Nikkor 10.5mm, which I had rented for a weekend, compared with the Samyang 8mm under excact same conditions.
      And as I said, I see some differences but not great.
      For example, the Nikkor 10.5mm is a bit sharper at the edges.
      But the Nikkor has significantly more CA.
      After postprocessing, the differences are not shocking.
      Nikkor yielded higher resolution result, approximately 12000x6000 vs. 10000x5000 for Samyang

      Yes indeed, I too would like to improve my sharpness and/or resolution.
      (or, if I downsample a higher resolution the result is sharper, right?)
      I would also like a higher / better dynamic range.
      Pulling details from the shadows.
      Outdoors I have to apply bracketing quite quickly.
      The bracketing capabilities of the D90 are often insufficient for indoor shots with daylight through the windows.

      The numbers on the internet make me believe that even if I downgrade to a lower class camera dynamic range will increase. less noise and more ability to pull detail out of the shadows?
      It is a pity only very expensive cameras have adequate bracketing possibilities.

      I hope this clarifies something.
      and I'm curious about your opinions.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
        Am 13.01.2013 12:46, schrieb harrypanorama:
        > Nikkor yielded higher resolution result, approximately 12000x6000 vs. 10000x5000 for Samyang

        That was to be expected. Read Hans' message.

        > Yes indeed, I too would like to improve my sharpness and/or resolution.

        How do you develop your raws? I found that ACR (lightroom or PS) give
        far better sharpness than f.e. Canon DPP. I dont't know for nikon though...

        > (or, if I downsample a higher resolution the result is sharper, right?)
        > I would also like a higher / better dynamic range.

        Well, this would require a new camera. DxO-Mark has a nice komparison of
        camera dynamic range: http://tinyurl.com/a3jm78e

        > The bracketing capabilities of the D90 are often insufficient for indoor shots with daylight through the windows.

        Perhaps external bracketing control would help:
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control

      • harrypanorama
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
          Thanks for your reply and links.

          My raw process:
          - import raw into LR4
          - do general sharping and CA correction
          - export 16bit tiff
          - if bracketing, fuse exposures with Photomatix Pro
          - stitch with PTGui Pro, save as 16bit tiff
          - overall adjustments (like WB, contrast, sharping etc.) PS
          - export 8bit jpeg

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
            Am 13.01.2013 17:24, schrieb harrypanorama:

            > - if bracketing, fuse exposures with Photomatix Pro

            I found that Photomatix blurs the images slightly. Try PTGui Pro
            exposure fusion or enfuse / EnfuseGUI or (even better IMHO): SNS-HDR

            The rest of your workflow seems perfect. LR4 uses ACR7 as well. Using
            Process 2012 there seems to give better dynamic range and you can also
            play with highlights and shadows restoration, which is pretty good.