Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Peleng Chromatic Aberration

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
      On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:11:01 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
      wrote:

      > Sony sensor. Same a s in the NEX cameras. The nice thing about the
      > Pentax is that lenses are cheap(er) and the camera is more like a real
      > camera than the NEX. And they are getting cheap.

      Another advantage of the K-01 is that the bright yellow rubber on mine
      (the only colour available in the "outlet" deal I got, with the camera
      in a box for the zoom-lens set but without the zoom, which they are
      presumably selling separately) is a great conversation starter, even
      before I attach my bright black and blue ring mount. My monopod with
      its tiny tripod at the bottom to hold it in position while free to
      rotate, also gets some raised eyebrows and the occasional comment. I
      do enjoy these conversations.

      The K-30 is a really nice camera, and a grade or two up from my K-x.
      And if they continue to drop in price at the same rate I will soon be
      able to afford one!

      Roger

      --
      Business: www.adex-japan.com
      Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
        Thanks Erik. I did manage to fumble my way to saving all those TIFF
        files. I had often used the SAVE button, of course, but didn't realize
        that when you have selected multiple files it will save them all. It
        was quite quick doing so, much quicker than doing it one by one.

        Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
        his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
        precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is exceelent. At least
        on the file I sent John, it is.

        Roger

        Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
          I like the general simplicity of mirrorless cameras. I don't need a viewfinder just a way to set the exposure and other parameters. And I like small and light and cheap. NEX is pretty good for all that except for the lack of proper bracketing and remote shutter activation. The K-01 is a serious candidate for my next camera. They are on eBay for less than $300 USD.

          I don't need a conversation starter. Once I was on a trail around a lake in the middle of shooting a pano and a guy stopped and insisted that I explain to him what I was doing and the best equipment to do it. He wouldn't leave even after I bluntly asked him to get out of the way. I would like a completely invisible rig.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
            Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
            > Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
            > his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
            > precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
            > on the file I sent John, it is.

            Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
            can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
            individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
            process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.

            You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
            raw conversion engine...

          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
              Incidentally, Paint Shop Pro had two-colour adjustable width de-fringe options with eye-drop selection of the colours a decade ago!

              I am tempted by Lightroom, but CS6 would be the last PS I could upgrade to under the new Adobe rules, and there are other things I like and want to try in CS6, so now I know it does a better job in this important area I have decided to go for it.

              Roger W

              Sent from my iPad

              On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

              > Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
              >> Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
              >> his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
              >> precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
              >> on the file I sent John, it is.
              >
              > Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
              > can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
              > individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
              > process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.
              >
              > You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
              > raw conversion engine...
              >
              > --
              > Erik Krause
              > http://www.erik-krause.de

            • Briar
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013

                I only had CS2 so jumped into Creative Cloud membership…..CS6 plus a raft of other software, including immediate updates for $50 per month. It would take me three years just to pay for CS6 at that rate.

                May be worth considering?

                Incidentally, Paint Shop Pro had two-colour adjustable width de-fringe options with eye-drop selection of the colours a decade ago!

                I am tempted by Lightroom, but CS6 would be the last PS I could upgrade to under the new Adobe rules, and there are other things I like and want to try in CS6, so now I know it does a better job in this important area I have decided to go for it.

                Roger W

                Sent from my iPad

                On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Erik Krause erik.krause@...> wrote:

                > Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                >> Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
                >> his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
                >> precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
                >> on the file I sent John, it is.
                >
                > Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
                > can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
                > individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
                > process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.
                >
                > You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
                > raw conversion engine...
                >
                > --
                > Erik Krause
                > http://www.erik-krause.de

              • Roger D Williams
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                  I agree. Who needs ignorant old farts who think you owe them an explanation? I was thinking more of attractive young women who talk to me out of interest in my unusual equipment although they would normally ignore me as just another old fart. <grin>

                  Your experience may differ. For whatever reason... I mean I don't know how old you are. You could be getting all the attention you need or want.

                  I have really tried to like the NEX series but just can't. At less than $300 I would buy a second and use the pair for stereo photos. Incredible value! (Currently I use a Fujifilm W3.)

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                  > I like the general simplicity of mirrorless cameras. I don't need a viewfinder just a way to set the exposure and other parameters. And I like small and light and cheap. NEX is pretty good for all that except for the lack of proper bracketing and remote shutter activation. The K-01 is a serious candidate for my next camera. They are on eBay for less than $300 USD.
                  >
                  > I don't need a conversation starter. Once I was on a trail around a lake in the middle of shooting a pano and a guy stopped and insisted that I explain to him what I was doing and the best equipment to do it. He wouldn't leave even after I bluntly asked him to get out of the way. I would like a completely invisible rig.
                  >
                  > On 1/11/2013 3:49 AM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                  >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:11:01 +0900, Ken Warner<kwarner000@...>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Sony sensor. Same a s in the NEX cameras. The nice thing about the
                  >>> Pentax is that lenses are cheap(er) and the camera is more like a real
                  >>> camera than the NEX. And they are getting cheap.
                  >>
                  >> Another advantage of the K-01 is that the bright yellow rubber on mine
                  >> (the only colour available in the "outlet" deal I got, with the camera
                  >> in a box for the zoom-lens set but without the zoom, which they are
                  >> presumably selling separately) is a great conversation starter, even
                  >> before I attach my bright black and blue ring mount. My monopod with
                  >> its tiny tripod at the bottom to hold it in position while free to
                  >> rotate, also gets some raised eyebrows and the occasional comment. I
                  >> do enjoy these conversations.
                  >>
                  >> The K-30 is a really nice camera, and a grade or two up from my K-x.
                  >> And if they continue to drop in price at the same rate I will soon be
                  >> able to afford one!
                  >>
                  >> Roger

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013