Re: Peleng Chromatic Aberration

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
      Am 10.01.2013 13:34, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
      > But there isn't an Adobe module for the Peleng. Has anyone created one?
      > If someone has, would they be willing to share it with me?

      You don't think you need this. You CS5 should come with ACR 6.7. If not,
      you should update. ACR 6.7 has automatic CA removal. Al you need is to
      check "Remove Chromatic Aberration" on the "Profile" sub-tab of the
      "Lens Corrections" tab. On the "Manual" sub-tab you can activate
      "Defringe" either for all edges or for highlight edges. THis should do
      the trick.

    • David
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
        Have you tried Lightroom CA removal? Works on all CA, no adjustments needed.

        The fringe removal tool also seems to work very well, but some manual guidance is required for that one.

        Works great on my Samyang 8mm as well as my lesser quality Canon lens (18-200 zoom). No lens profiles required. You only need those to correct distortion.

        I'm using LR4.3. I think these controls were good starting at 4.1. Older versions are different.

        David B

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" wrote:

        > Can anyone help me get rid of the FSU Peleng's chromatic aberration and
        > purple fringing?

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
          Thank you, Erik. I had tried CS5 yesterday, when I finally got around to processing the panos from our recent holiday in Hawaii, but was disappointed to see both CA and purple fringes in the first result. I may not have done exactly what you suggest and will try again later today. I most certainly did upgrade to the latest ACR within CS5 when the suggestion appeared, so I should be good to go...

          Roger W

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jan 11, 2013, at 4:59 AM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

          > Am 10.01.2013 13:34, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
          >> But there isn't an Adobe module for the Peleng. Has anyone created one?
          >> If someone has, would they be willing to share it with me?
          >
          > You don't think you need this. You CS5 should come with ACR 6.7. If not,
          > you should update. ACR 6.7 has automatic CA removal. Al you need is to
          > check "Remove Chromatic Aberration" on the "Profile" sub-tab of the
          > "Lens Corrections" tab. On the "Manual" sub-tab you can activate
          > "Defringe" either for all edges or for highlight edges. THis should do
          > the trick.
          >
          > --
          > Erik Krause
          > http://www.erik-krause.de

        • Roger D Williams
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
            Thanks, David, but I don't have Lightroom.

            Roger W

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jan 11, 2013, at 5:47 AM, "David" <dburton97128@...> wrote:

            > Have you tried Lightroom CA removal? Works on all CA, no adjustments needed.
            >
            > The fringe removal tool also seems to work very well, but some manual guidance is required for that one.
            >
            > Works great on my Samyang 8mm as well as my lesser quality Canon lens (18-200 zoom). No lens profiles required. You only need those to correct distortion.
            >
            > I'm using LR4.3. I think these controls were good starting at 4.1. Older versions are different.
            >
            > David B
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" wrote:
            >>
            >> Can anyone help me get rid of the FSU Peleng's chromatic aberration and
            >> purple fringing?

          • Robert C. Fisher
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
              Ok Roger
              Open PS then open bridge. chose your raw images to convert>open>then the raw converter window should open. pick one image to adjust the settings>now over in the right column the first tab is where you spend the most time for correcting and adjusting the color>once that is done, go to the 6th tab "Lens Corrections" near the bottom of the first subtab is a check box called "remove Chromatic Aberations", check that then go to the subtab "Manual" down at the bottom is a pull down called "defring" I usually choose all edges. That should fix all of your CA issues. Of course select all images on the left and sync them and process and it's done.

              I hope this helps.

              On Jan 10, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Roger D Williams wrote:

              Thank you, Erik. I had tried CS5 yesterday, when I finally got around to processing the panos from our recent holiday in Hawaii, but was disappointed to see both CA and purple fringes in the first result. I may not have done exactly what you suggest and will try again later today. I most certainly did upgrade to the latest ACR within CS5 when the suggestion appeared, so I should be good to go...

              Roger W

              Sent from my iPad

              Robert C. Fisher
              VR Photographer / Cinematographer
              http://www.rcfisher.com
              bob@...

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
                On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 04:59:37 +0900, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                > Am 10.01.2013 13:34, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                >> But there isn't an Adobe module for the Peleng. Has anyone created one?
                >> If someone has, would they be willing to share it with me?
                >
                > You don't think you need this. You CS5 should come with ACR 6.7. If not,
                > you should update. ACR 6.7 has automatic CA removal. Al you need is to
                > check "Remove Chromatic Aberration" on the "Profile" sub-tab of the
                > "Lens Corrections" tab. On the "Manual" sub-tab you can activate
                > "Defringe" either for all edges or for highlight edges. THis should do
                > the trick.

                Erik,

                As usual, you were quite right! By doing as you say the CA and purple
                fringeing that detracted from my recent panorama were removed. I can
                see no trace of either even at 200%. I can't see where to check the
                version number of CS5's built-in ACR but it appears to be 6.7 or the
                equivalent. Good enough!

                Phew!

                Incidentally, I am finding my (bright yellow) Pentax K-01, the APS-C
                mirrorless camera from Asahi-Ricoh, to be ideal for panoramas, as I
                had hoped. The pixel count at 16m is high enough to give me 10,000
                x 5,000 panoramas using the 8mm Peleng, and 12,000 x 6,000 with the
                excellent 10-17mm zoom fisheye (at 10mm), although the latter is a
                little more trouble than I care to take.

                I can bracket two stops either side of "normal" and being mirrorless
                the shots are taken VERY quickly and with no mirror flap/shake, of
                course. There is even a special button I can configure to set the
                "normal" exposure correctly for the preselected Peleng aperture (I
                leave this as F/8), and the noise levels are really low, so I can
                boost shadow detail without intrusive noise. Whoopee!

                I don't even miss the typical DSLR viewfinder. The screen is fine
                for setting the "start" position of my camera for panoramas.

                Roger W.

                --
                Business: www.adex-japan.com
                Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 10, 2013
                  On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:20:40 +0900, Robert C. Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                  Ok Roger
                  Open PS then open bridge. chose your raw images to convert>open>then the raw converter window should open. pick one image to adjust the settings>now over in the right column the first tab is where you spend the most time for correcting and adjusting the color>once that is done, go to the 6th tab "Lens Corrections" near the bottom of the first subtab is a check box called "remove Chromatic Aberations", check that then go to the subtab "Manual" down at the bottom is a pull down called "defring" I usually choose all edges. That should fix all of your CA issues. Of course select all images on the left and sync them and process and it's done.

                  I hope this helps.

                  It certainly does, Robert. Thank you very much. When I read this I had just followed Erik's instructions and verified that CA and purple fringes were removed from my Peleng shots and was wracking my brains to remember how one applies the same process to all of a set
                  of images. I am a complete bumbler when it comes to Photoshop! And even if I have been walked through a procedure, if it is one I seldom use I usually have problems rediscovering it the next time I need it.

                  While I have your ear, is there also a simple way of converting all the processed RAW files (DNG in my case) to TIFFs? I prefer to remove CA as a first step, then use other programs for the tweaking... DXO for panoramas where a single exposure is all that's needed and SNS where I have taken bracketed exposures. I know that other programs will not "see" the CA removal that PSCS performs so wellm so I need to convert them to TIFFs where the CA processing will "stick." Sigh.

                  Roger W,

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                      On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:31:42 +0900, Robert C. Fisher <bob@...> wrote:

                      I do all of the conversion in PS to convert and color correct the raws and make tiffs then I use Bracketeer to do the fusion to the bracketed sets.
                       I always convert to either 8 or 16 bit tiffs as a first step then work with as tiffs after that. I treat the raw files as digital negatives then process into tiffs (positives).

                      Yes, that's exactly what I intend doing. Well, except that I ONLY want to do CA and fringe processing in PS. My plea was a rather more basic one. I know how I can sync all the CA processes to my entire family of RAW files, but how can I execute one command that will convert all the RAW files to TIFFs? I really, really am that ignorant. And I never get far into PS instruction manuals because there is always something else I need to understand BEFORE I can understand the explanation of what mystifies me. So I get caught in a sort of endless regression looking up more and more basic stuff and getting further and further away from what I need to know. Sigh.

                      Roger W.

                      Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
                    • Ken Warner
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                        Sony sensor. Same a s in the NEX cameras. The nice thing about the Pentax is that lenses are cheap(er) and the camera is more like a real camera than the NEX. And they are getting cheap.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                          Am 11.01.2013 09:03, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                          > how can I execute one command that will convert all the RAW files to TIFFs?

                          In Bridge select all of your files, right click and choose "open in
                          ACR", in ACR select all, do your adjustment (you can save your
                          adjustments as a preset). Eventually adjust workflow options (bottom
                          middle link) then click Save Images in the bottom left corner.

                          Instead of Bridge you can also select your files in Explorer or Finder
                          and drag them on an open photoshop window.

                        • Roger D. Williams
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                            On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:11:01 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Sony sensor. Same a s in the NEX cameras. The nice thing about the
                            > Pentax is that lenses are cheap(er) and the camera is more like a real
                            > camera than the NEX. And they are getting cheap.

                            Another advantage of the K-01 is that the bright yellow rubber on mine
                            (the only colour available in the "outlet" deal I got, with the camera
                            in a box for the zoom-lens set but without the zoom, which they are
                            presumably selling separately) is a great conversation starter, even
                            before I attach my bright black and blue ring mount. My monopod with
                            its tiny tripod at the bottom to hold it in position while free to
                            rotate, also gets some raised eyebrows and the occasional comment. I
                            do enjoy these conversations.

                            The K-30 is a really nice camera, and a grade or two up from my K-x.
                            And if they continue to drop in price at the same rate I will soon be
                            able to afford one!

                            Roger

                            Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                              Thanks Erik. I did manage to fumble my way to saving all those TIFF
                              files. I had often used the SAVE button, of course, but didn't realize
                              that when you have selected multiple files it will save them all. It
                              was quite quick doing so, much quicker than doing it one by one.

                              Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
                              his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
                              precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is exceelent. At least
                              on the file I sent John, it is.

                              Roger

                              Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net
                            • Ken Warner
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                                I like the general simplicity of mirrorless cameras. I don't need a viewfinder just a way to set the exposure and other parameters. And I like small and light and cheap. NEX is pretty good for all that except for the lack of proper bracketing and remote shutter activation. The K-01 is a serious candidate for my next camera. They are on eBay for less than $300 USD.

                                I don't need a conversation starter. Once I was on a trail around a lake in the middle of shooting a pano and a guy stopped and insisted that I explain to him what I was doing and the best equipment to do it. He wouldn't leave even after I bluntly asked him to get out of the way. I would like a completely invisible rig.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                                  > Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
                                  > his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
                                  > precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
                                  > on the file I sent John, it is.

                                  Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
                                  can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
                                  individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
                                  process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.

                                  You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
                                  raw conversion engine...

                                • Roger D Williams
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    Incidentally, Paint Shop Pro had two-colour adjustable width de-fringe options with eye-drop selection of the colours a decade ago!

                                    I am tempted by Lightroom, but CS6 would be the last PS I could upgrade to under the new Adobe rules, and there are other things I like and want to try in CS6, so now I know it does a better job in this important area I have decided to go for it.

                                    Roger W

                                    Sent from my iPad

                                    On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                                    > Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                                    >> Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
                                    >> his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
                                    >> precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
                                    >> on the file I sent John, it is.
                                    >
                                    > Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
                                    > can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
                                    > individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
                                    > process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.
                                    >
                                    > You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
                                    > raw conversion engine...
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Erik Krause
                                    > http://www.erik-krause.de

                                  • Briar
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013

                                      I only had CS2 so jumped into Creative Cloud membership…..CS6 plus a raft of other software, including immediate updates for $50 per month. It would take me three years just to pay for CS6 at that rate.

                                      May be worth considering?

                                      Incidentally, Paint Shop Pro had two-colour adjustable width de-fringe options with eye-drop selection of the colours a decade ago!

                                      I am tempted by Lightroom, but CS6 would be the last PS I could upgrade to under the new Adobe rules, and there are other things I like and want to try in CS6, so now I know it does a better job in this important area I have decided to go for it.

                                      Roger W

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Erik Krause erik.krause@...> wrote:

                                      > Am 11.01.2013 12:53, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
                                      >> Incidentally, John Houghton kindly processed one of my DNG files with
                                      >> his CS6, and I was surprised to see that the CA removal is even more
                                      >> precise and effective. CS5 is quite good but CS6 is excellent. At least
                                      >> on the file I sent John, it is.
                                      >
                                      > Yes, that might be true. At least the fringes removal is enhanced as you
                                      > can adjust the fringes colors and removal amount for two color ranges
                                      > individually. And ACR 7 features a better highlight recovery and a new
                                      > process giving much nicer transitions to overexposed areas.
                                      >
                                      > You don't need CS6 to get ACR 7 BTW. Recent Lightroom contains the same
                                      > raw conversion engine...
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Erik Krause
                                      > http://www.erik-krause.de

                                    • Roger D Williams
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013
                                        I agree. Who needs ignorant old farts who think you owe them an explanation? I was thinking more of attractive young women who talk to me out of interest in my unusual equipment although they would normally ignore me as just another old fart. <grin>

                                        Your experience may differ. For whatever reason... I mean I don't know how old you are. You could be getting all the attention you need or want.

                                        I have really tried to like the NEX series but just can't. At less than $300 I would buy a second and use the pair for stereo photos. Incredible value! (Currently I use a Fujifilm W3.)

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:04 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

                                        > I like the general simplicity of mirrorless cameras. I don't need a viewfinder just a way to set the exposure and other parameters. And I like small and light and cheap. NEX is pretty good for all that except for the lack of proper bracketing and remote shutter activation. The K-01 is a serious candidate for my next camera. They are on eBay for less than $300 USD.
                                        >
                                        > I don't need a conversation starter. Once I was on a trail around a lake in the middle of shooting a pano and a guy stopped and insisted that I explain to him what I was doing and the best equipment to do it. He wouldn't leave even after I bluntly asked him to get out of the way. I would like a completely invisible rig.
                                        >
                                        > On 1/11/2013 3:49 AM, Roger D. Williams wrote:
                                        >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:11:01 +0900, Ken Warner<kwarner000@...>
                                        >> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> Sony sensor. Same a s in the NEX cameras. The nice thing about the
                                        >>> Pentax is that lenses are cheap(er) and the camera is more like a real
                                        >>> camera than the NEX. And they are getting cheap.
                                        >>
                                        >> Another advantage of the K-01 is that the bright yellow rubber on mine
                                        >> (the only colour available in the "outlet" deal I got, with the camera
                                        >> in a box for the zoom-lens set but without the zoom, which they are
                                        >> presumably selling separately) is a great conversation starter, even
                                        >> before I attach my bright black and blue ring mount. My monopod with
                                        >> its tiny tripod at the bottom to hold it in position while free to
                                        >> rotate, also gets some raised eyebrows and the occasional comment. I
                                        >> do enjoy these conversations.
                                        >>
                                        >> The K-30 is a really nice camera, and a grade or two up from my K-x.
                                        >> And if they continue to drop in price at the same rate I will soon be
                                        >> able to afford one!
                                        >>
                                        >> Roger

                                      • Ken Warner
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 11, 2013