360 video hadware - 2013

  • Giorgio Marchetto
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hello panofriends

      I am still looking for a good 360 video hardware,
      will be the 2013 the good year for 360 video?

      Here some of the more interesting cams.

      360 heros (with 6 hero3, launch in early 2013?)
      http://www.360heros.com

      360 rig (with 6 hero2 / hero3 on development)
      http://360rig.com/

      Sphericam (near to come out, cheap, but low resolution)
      http://sphericam.com/

      PROFESSIONAL (AND EXPENSIVE) SOLUTIONS

      Ladybug 5 by PTGREY
      http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug5/Ladybug5_360_video_camera.asp

      Immersive Media
      http://immersivemedia.com/products/#cameras

      DEAD PROJECTS (born for 360 video too) ?

      Istar  http://www.nctech.co.uk   (website suspended)
      Girocam http://www.girocam.com/

      NOT FOR SALE (but great)
      Making View ViewCam http://makingview.no/makingview.com/

      Did I forget some interesting project?
      Can you share it?

      A QUESTION

      360 Video stitching time is actually one of the most critical issue.
      However an automatic video stitching software will help a lot.
      Do you know something about Kolor KAVA video stitching sofware?
      Is it available online?

    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
        Giorgio

        is the best choice now !
        in my opinion

        KAVA is in beta yet
        GREAT software
        not available online yet

        Cheers

        + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
        http://ayrton360.com
        twitter.com/ayrton360

        "It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."

        On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Giorgio Marchetto <mail@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Ron Rack
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1996234044/sphericam-the-easy-360o-video-camera

          Hi Giorgio,
          The above link came by the list just yesterday.

          ron rack

[...]

        • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
            A promising hardware: http://ibi360.tamaggo.com/

            They are still in development, since last year.

            --
            L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
            felipe@...

          • Greg Downing
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
              On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM, <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              DEAD PROJECTS (born for 360 video too) ?
              Istar http://www.nctech.co.uk (website suspended)

              The project is not dead they have plenty of recent manufacturing posts on their facebook and twitter feeds,looks like they just don't have a forward set up to their new URL, http://www.nctechimaging.com/

              I saw a new working model in October at DigiDoc in Scotland it is looking impressive.

              Greg Downing
              http://www.xrez.com/
              415-613-1649

            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2013
                On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Greg Downing <greg@...> wrote:

                On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM, <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                DEAD PROJECTS (born for 360 video too) ?
                Istar http://www.nctech.co.uk (website suspended)

                Hi Greg
                but the iStar is not for VIDEO, at least yet :-)
                That's what  Andrew told me on his last email ....

                cheers from Rio

                The project is not dead they have plenty of recent manufacturing posts on their facebook and twitter feeds,looks like they just don't have a forward set up to their new URL, http://www.nctechimaging.com/

                I saw a new working model in October at DigiDoc in Scotland it is looking impressive.

              • giorgiomarchetto
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                  Thanks for the tip, Ayrton
                  Joergen is working on 360rig V5, for Hero3, I suppose.
                  I have to wait for this (and I don't know how long).
                  However I am also waiting for a faster and simpler workflow: Joergen told me that to create 1 min on 360 video the stitching time is 2 hours (1:120). The new video stitching software will short these times?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Thanks for sharing this, Felipe

                    Another company form Canada,
                    however, despite the website is well made,
                    camera specifications are poor
                    (1920 x 1438 at 30 fps. FOV ???)
                    I am not sure we will se this item working a day...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                      Thanks for the replies,
                      they changed the website...
                      sorry for my error.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON wrote:

                      > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM, Greg Downing wrote:
                      >

                      > > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM, wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> DEAD PROJECTS (born for 360 video too) ?
                      > >> Istar http://www.nctech.**co.uk (website
                      > >> suspended)
                      > >

                      > Hi Greg
                      > but the iStar is not for VIDEO, at least yet :-)
                      > That's what Andrew told me on his last email ....
                      >
                      > cheers from Rio
                      >

                      > > The project is not dead they have plenty of recent manufacturing posts on
                      > > their facebook and twitter feeds,looks like they just don't have a forward
                      > > set up to their new URL, http://www.nctechimaging.com/
                      > >
                      > > I saw a new working model in October at DigiDoc in Scotland it is looking
                      > > impressive.
                      > >
                      > > Greg Downing
                      > > http://www.xrez.com/
                      > > 415-613-1649

                    • Felipe González
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                        Giorgio,

                        I got the specs for the Tamaggo last year, the vfov was of 100deg. That's a bit more than half sphere. They claim to use a technology (can't recall now if it's Immervision) that has denser data on the edges of the sensor, to avoid loss of detail. They were supposed to be available since mid 2012, so I also think they are in peril as a business. I wish somebody developed a camera of this type to fly it on my multirotor.

                        Felipe B. gonzález C.
                        Socio Director de RecorridosVirtuales.

                        El 09/01/2013, a las 02:45, "giorgiomarchetto" <mail@...> escribió:

                        Thanks for sharing this, Felipe

                        Another company form Canada,
                        however, despite the website is well made,
                        camera specifications are poor
                        (1920 x 1438 at 30 fps. FOV ???)
                        I am not sure we will se this item working a day...

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González wrote:

                        > A promising hardware: http://ibi360.tamaggo.com/
                        >
                        > They are still in development, since last year.

                      • panometr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013
                          Hi Giorgio and other pano(video)graphers,

                          Thanks for sharing collecting information about 360cameras in one place. I have used Ladybug2 and Ladybug3 for about 3-4 years and it seems that there are more 360video cameras now than a few years ago.

                          I have just completed writing my thesis about 360video and 360environments and it should be available to read by March 2013.

                          I would add a few more 360video cameras to your list.
                          - IndieCam's rig (they sent me once a PDF with 360rig, I can't find it on their website now, it is based on 8 indiePOV cameras and mirrors). (www.indiecam.com)
                          - Lucy camera from www.Kogeto.com - I noticed that this company has a few mirror lenses for iPhones
                          - SA360 from socialanimal.tv (expensive) - similar design as Indie's rig
                          - Patrice Garlot's 360rig: www.totavision.fr/en (camera not for sale)

                          Do you know why Ladybug5 is still not on the market? Why PTGrey is waiting with release of the camera? It costs $20,000.

                          Video stitching software has been developed by Nicolas: www.loop-in.com since 2011. This software is in development.
                          Do you know more software for stitching videos? I haven't heard about Kolor KAVA.

                          Best wishes,
                          Karol Kwiatek
                          www.twitter.com/uop360

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Giorgio Marchetto wrote:

                          > Hello panofriends
                          >
                          > I am still looking for a good 360 video hardware,
                          > will be the 2013 the good year for 360 video?
                          >
                          > Here some of the more interesting cams.
                          >
                          > 360 heros (with 6 hero3, launch in early 2013?)
                          > http://www.360heros.com
                          >
                          > 360 rig (with 6 hero2 / hero3 on development)
                          > http://360rig.com/
                          >
                          > Sphericam (near to come out, cheap, but low resolution)
                          > http://sphericam.com/
                          >

                          > PROFESSIONAL (AND EXPENSIVE) SOLUTIONS
                          >
                          > Ladybug 5 by PTGREY
                          > http://www.ptgrey.com/products/ladybug5/Ladybug5_360_video_camera.asp
                          >
                          > Immersive Media
                          > http://immersivemedia.com/products/#cameras
                          >

                          > DEAD PROJECTS (born for 360 video too) ?
                          >
                          > Istar http://www.nctech.co.uk (website suspended)
                          > Girocam http://www.girocam.com/
                          >
                          > NOT FOR SALE (but great)
                          > Making View ViewCam http://makingview.no/makingview.com/
                          >

                          > Did I forget some interesting project?
                          > Can you share it?
                          >

                          > A QUESTION
                          >
                          > 360 Video stitching time is actually one of the most critical issue.
                          > However an automatic video stitching software will help a lot.
                          > Do you know something about Kolor KAVA video stitching sofware?
                          > Is it available online?

                        • Roberto Gómez Torres
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2013

                            Giorgio,

                            The following company was one of the first on 360º panoramas and also 360º video capture.

                            Long time ago IPIX tried to destroy and disappear this company on patent disputes.

                            The The GeoView–3000-LB3 spherical capture system maybe what you are looking for.

                            I am not a user or not even own one of this, only have been following the company over the years as I was one of the early users of their panoramic stitching software and viewers application.

                            iMove

                            http://www.imoveinc.com/

                            Hope that helps.

                            Best regards from Mexico City.

                            Roberto.

                            =====================

                            Roberto Gómez Torres

                            Tiempo Digital

                            Mexico City, Mexico

                            www.tiempo-digital.com

                          • panometr
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 10, 2013
                              Hi Roberto,

                              The GeoView–3000-LB3 is Ladybug3 from Point Grey Research.
                              best wishes,
                              Karol Kwiatek
                              www.twitter.com/uop360