D800 moire solution if needed

  • montana_jimbo
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012
      First Happy holiday to you all.. hope all you folks are well.. Anyway two things.. Back when we were all getting our D800's their was quite a bit of talk about moire with this camera.. I doubt most of you are having any issues at all .. it depends on what and how your shooting your subject.. Anyway their is a mechanical solution now which makes way more sense then a software solution especially for the requirements this group would have.. Anyway an outfit has produced a high quality removable filter that seems to do the job. It goes insdie teh camera ...kinda spooky but makes sense this way.. http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/d800.html I'm not ready to spring for one but a friend has and he say is does the trick..
      Lastly... For those familiar with the Atomos Ninja products.. We are hopeful to be able to shoot stills along with Video directly into an SSD or HDD that's in the Ninja 2 soon... Both Atomos and Nikon are looking at it. It presently works fine with a RED and a few other cameras..

      jimbo
    • AYRTON
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012

        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM, montana_jimbo <mrjimbo@...> wrote:
        First Happy holiday to you all.. hope all you folks are well.. Anyway two things.. Back when we were all getting our D800's their was quite a bit of talk about moire with this camera..

        OMG
        The talk about moire was ONLY on the D800E  (E)
        NOT on the D800

        The D800 is a normal camera like all other DSLRs

        And I've been using the D800E for months, and working together with Nikon Co. since I'm supported by them in Brazil.
        And no problem at all until now with the subjects I choose to shoot.

        WHY make a filter to put in the D800 ???

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jimbo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012

          Video mostly... ----- Original Message -----
[...]

          No virus found in this message.

        • john law
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
            Jimbo
            I'd like to confirm Ayrton's statement - the moire is only on the 'E' and then only on video where it is quite pronounced but readily eliminated in Premiere.

            2
            HNY 13 to all!

            JL
            John Law ARPS
            JL Panoramas
            www.john-law.org.uk
            mail@...
            t:   01225 339590
            m: 07814 993904

          • jimbo
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2012
              I didn't bring this up to cause an issue for anyone.. it was intended as informational.. In typical landscape photography moire would not be an issue with the 800 it occasionally is with the e version primarily in some architectural shots.. For those that do product or fashion the issue pops up quiet a bit more.. and it uneceptable.. Granted, the filter would probably never had been brought to market if it wasn't for video needs. In the right situation it's a tool that might benefit a photographer... just saying... so your shooting style or subject matter gets you off the hook.. that's great.. I have both versions of the 800 and a D4.. All of which are also used for video production also..

              As far as dealing with moire in post production.. I'm glad it's so easy for you.. We have to deal with it occasionally also.. It lowers the quality of the result and we typically don't like that.. So if we know we have a real issue we typically make a few changes if possible and retake.. If we can't then we do what your doing.

              Anyway , hopefully to close this. Am I to understand that it is improper to post stuff like this on this group? I fully realize that few here could benefit ... but that's more of an individual thing or needs I would think.. At any rate I was recently made aware of the product.. Their selling them so their getting used.. I just remembered all the conversation from back when and thought it might be relative to some one that had an e version they were wrestling with in this area.....Rest assured I'll not offer up anything like this again..

              jimbo
              I'd like to confirm Ayrton's statement - the moire is only on the 'E' and then only on video where it is quite pronounced but readily eliminated in Premiere.

              2
              HNY 13 to all!

              JL
              John Law ARPS
              JL Panoramas
              www.john-law.org.uk
              mail@...
              t:   01225 339590
              m: 07814 993904

              No virus found in this message.

            • Trausti Hraunfjord

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Thnx ... nothing like this is perfect.. but for some it might be useful.. Like I said we do a lot of studio shooting with both version and I hit moire issue with both 800 version.. both stills and video.. I have one coming and we'll see how it all shakes out. Were hoping we get lucky..

                  jimbo