Re: Select photos automatically

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dexgosalzi" <jonas.salzmann@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a folder to stitch them together.
      >
      > I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500 Single shots and the other 500 are parts of maybe 40 different panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part of a panorama and stitch it together.
      >
      > Have any of you tried this once already, or has someone an idea which tools i should use?
      >
      > In worst case I could write a script which checks the orientation of the images and the recording time. All images which are part of the panorama should have the same orientation (in my case they are 99% portrait) and the time between to pictures must be short. But this is not so elegant. It would be much cooler if it detects the number of matching points on two pictures and if the number is high enough the picture is part of a panorama if not the actual panorama is finished and could be created.
      >
      > I hope it is clear about what I mean. Any input is welcome!

      If you check PTgui Batch builder you have all options to separate images.
      Unless you are taking each panorama with same time after each other as the single images in them.

      Hans
    • dexgosalzi
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dexgosalzi" <jonas.salzmann@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a folder to stitch them together.
        > >
        > > I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500 Single shots and the other 500 are parts of maybe 40 different panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part of a panorama and stitch it together.
        > >
        > > Have any of you tried this once already, or has someone an idea which tools i should use?
        > >
        > > In worst case I could write a script which checks the orientation of the images and the recording time. All images which are part of the panorama should have the same orientation (in my case they are 99% portrait) and the time between to pictures must be short. But this is not so elegant. It would be much cooler if it detects the number of matching points on two pictures and if the number is high enough the picture is part of a panorama if not the actual panorama is finished and could be created.
        > >
        > > I hope it is clear about what I mean. Any input is welcome!
        >

        > If you check PTgui Batch builder you have all options to separate images.
        > Unless you are taking each panorama with same time after each other as the single images in them.
        >
        > Hans

        Thanks Hans for yourquick answer. PTgui looks very interesting but there is a small problem that I had not mentioned before: I work with Linux...
      • Mark D. Fink
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
          This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
          your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY simplifies
          sorting and stitching.

          Mark

          ------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
            Am 10.12.2012 16:57, schrieb dexgosalzi:
            > I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all
            > of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500
            > Single shots and the other 500 are parts of maybe 40 different
            > panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part
            > of a panorama and stitch it together.

            Autopano pro should do that: http://www.kolor.com

          • Carl von Einem
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
              Hi Jonas,

              Hugin's batch processor does this: open PTBatcherGUI and from the menu
              choose File: Search directory for...: Images

              see also
              <http://wiki.panotools.org/PTBatcherGUI#Image_sets_.28create_project_files.29>

              The decision process is described here, the next step (searching for CPs
              etc.) can also be automated.

              Cheers,
              Carl

              Posted by: "dexgosalzi" on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am ((PST))

              > I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a
              > lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one
              > big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a
              > folder to stitch them together.
              >
              > I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all
              > of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500
              > Single shots and the other 500 are parts of maybe 40 different
              > panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is
              > part of a panorama and stitch it together.

            • giant_klobasa_monster
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
                it's a good idea, mark.

                I wonder how many people know you can create folders on your canon camera. it is a bit hacky to be sure, but it is very useful sometimes.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                > This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
                > your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY simplifies
                > sorting and stitching.
                >
                > Mark

              • luca vascon
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                  I do hate cameras that cannot do that. For me is one of the basics a digital camera MUST be able to do.

                  2012/12/10 giant_klobasa_monster <panoramas@...>

                  it's a good idea, mark.

                  I wonder how many people know you can create folders on your canon camera. it is a bit hacky to be sure, but it is very useful sometimes.

                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

                  > This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
                  > your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY simplifies
                  > sorting and stitching.
                  >
                  > Mark

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional