How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

  • Johann
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
      I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5 Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at image 5 ?
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2012
        Am 01.12.2012 10:10, schrieb Johann:
        > I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5
        > Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of
        > were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched
        > pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at
        > image 5 ?

        What Software do you use? Assuming you use PTGui: Mask the tripod legs
        in all images where they appear. This should hide the tripod. For the
        shadows see Tom Sharpless' new tutorial:
        http://wiki.panotools.org/Remove_tripod_shadows

      • Johann Victor
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2012
          Hi Erik.

          I use Ptgui Pro. I did mask all of the tripod shadows im images but when stitched images it leaves a black background.

          On 1 December 2012 15:32, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:
          Am 01.12.2012 10:10, schrieb Johann:
          > I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5
          > Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of
          > were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched
          > pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at
          > image 5  ?

          What Software do you use? Assuming you use PTGui: Mask the tripod legs
          in all images where they appear. This should hide the tripod. For the
          shadows see Tom Sharpless' new tutorial:
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Remove_tripod_shadows

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • pedro_silva58
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2012
            hi johann!

            to avoid having shadows in the final panorama, you need to have all areas with shadows, appear in other images, without the shadows. so, first, mind your own shadow! second, you may need to move the tripod, and shoot the ground from a different position, and then use viewpoint correction in ptgui pro. it helps to plan ahead, eg, make sure the tripod shadow doesn't go from ground to building, or some other complex 3d thing.

            as a last resort, play in your favorite image editor, trying to match luminosity, colors, etc, to make shadows less obvious. you would need considerable editing skills for a good result, me thinks.

            hope this helps!
            cheers,
            pedro

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2012
              Am 03.12.2012 06:56, schrieb Johann Victor:
              > I did mask all of the tripod shadows im images but when stitched images
              > it leaves a black background.

              As Pedro wrote: You need something to fill the holes. If you didn't
              shoot the area without a shadow you will need to clone some regions from
              your existing panorama. Export a rectilinear view with the shadow in it
              and use healing brush or patch tool in photoshop to hide the black holes.

              -> http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views

            • Rick Drew
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2012

                I extract a cube face in Pano2VR and touch it up in Photoshop. I try and shoot several “down” images without shadows to aid in touch-up, but it’s not always possible.

                Rick Drew

              • Mark D. Fink
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012

                  I have two videos here that might help: