Re: [PanoToolsNG] Printing Panoramas

  • Bjørn K Nilssen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2012
      On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:19:16 +0100, Angus Mackie <angus@...> wrote:

      I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me please. I have just been approached by a new client looking to commission me for a hilltop panorama to be printed at large size and framed. I am in the process of determining what size, mount and frame he is looking for but as printing panoramas is new territory for me, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about the best medium to use? What I do know is that the printed output needs to be of a very high standard and quality.

      Take a look at http://luminous-landscape.com/
      I read some interesting articles about printing large landscapes there some years ago.
      Searching for 'giclee  paper canvas' might give you some good tips/links too?

    • Dicere
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
        If you want to print your own panos I would recommend you first join one of the Yahoo wide format printing groups (like EpsonWideFormat@yahoogroups.com or WideFormatInkJet@yahoogroups.com among others) and start reading about the problems the professionals have. Then if you still want to print your own, expect to invest something in 5 figures for hardware, paper, ink, maybe more for an additional room on your house, and several months to climb the learning curve to get professional looking prints. It might be worth it if you like it and can find a market for your work, but for a one off job maybe finding a local pro printer to work with would be a better choice.

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Angus Mackie" <angus@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me please. I have just been
        > approached by a new client looking to commission me for a hilltop panorama
        > to be printed at large size and framed. I am in the process of determining
        > what size, mount and frame he is looking for but as printing panoramas is
        > new territory for me, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about
        > the best medium to use? What I do know is that the printed output needs to
        > be of a very high standard and quality.
        >

        > My client has asked for the panorama to be shot next Spring / Summer when
        > the days are longer, clearer and hopefully brighter than at present!
        >

        > If anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom, I would be very
        > appreciative.
        >

        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Angus
        >

        > Angus Mackie
        >
        > www.scotland360.co.uk

      • montana_jimbo
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
          We have to read a lot between the lines here Angus.. First if your going to tool up for just one ..I say pass and farm it out.. If your already set up to print etc ..Well their the same as a regular print just longer.. so it's the added length you'll deal with. We do them here. As far as medium.. We do them on both photo & fine art papers and also canvas.. Once you get to the large sizes mounting & framing becoms an issue. Standard stick is typically only 9'6" long.. We do quite a few canvas gallery wrap and for us this has made it easy to overcome stick limits ..SO no frame.. plus you can hang them with velcro. Paper prints typically need to be covered glass is heavy so acrylic works the best. You can face mount a print to acrylic either laminating or using the Diasec process(silicon) ..As you can guess equipment is necesary for either. Smaller pano's under 3 feet or less are ok with glass especially B&W prints.. As a note standard mattboard is 32x40 or 40 x 60.. SO their ar emany things you'll need to look at.

          jimbo
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Angus Mackie" <angus@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me please. I have just been
          > approached by a new client looking to commission me for a hilltop panorama
          > to be printed at large size and framed. I am in the process of determining
          > what size, mount and frame he is looking for but as printing panoramas is
          > new territory for me, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about
          > the best medium to use? What I do know is that the printed output needs to
          > be of a very high standard and quality.
          >

          > My client has asked for the panorama to be shot next Spring / Summer when
          > the days are longer, clearer and hopefully brighter than at present!
          >

          > If anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom, I would be very
          > appreciative.
          >

          > Many thanks,
          >
          > Angus
          >

          > Angus Mackie
          >
          > www.scotland360.co.uk

        • Angus
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
            Thank you for the helpful responses and, from reading these, I have realised that I didn't make myself particularly clear from the outset, for which I give my apologies.

            My post has clearly been interpreted as me wishing to print my own panoramas when in fact I was looking for advice as to the specification for a printed output which I could take to a professional priner. Any advice relating to what type of printing specification others might suggest or recommend was what I was looking for.

            Many thanks,
            Angus

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dicere" <dicereabdere@...> wrote:

            > If you want to print your own panos I would recommend you first join one of the Yahoo wide format printing groups (like EpsonWideFormat@yahoogroups.com or WideFormatInkJet@yahoogroups.com among others) and start reading about the problems the professionals have. Then if you still want to print your own, expect to invest something in 5 figures for hardware, paper, ink, maybe more for an additional room on your house, and several months to climb the learning curve to get professional looking prints. It might be worth it if you like it and can find a market for your work, but for a one off job maybe finding a local pro printer to work with would be a better choice.
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Angus Mackie" <angus@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me please. I have just been
            > > approached by a new client looking to commission me for a hilltop panorama
            > > to be printed at large size and framed. I am in the process of determining
            > > what size, mount and frame he is looking for but as printing panoramas is
            > > new territory for me, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about
            > > the best medium to use? What I do know is that the printed output needs to
            > > be of a very high standard and quality.
            > >

            > > My client has asked for the panorama to be shot next Spring / Summer when
            > > the days are longer, clearer and hopefully brighter than at present!
            > >

            > > If anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom, I would be very
            > > appreciative.
            > >

            > > Many thanks,
            > >
            > > Angus
            > >

            > > Angus Mackie
            > >
            > > www.scotland360.co.uk

          • jimbo
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 24, 2012
              Angus,
              That's very helpfull.. My suggestion now would be to get some specs together.. with your client.. Size will start driving the direction you choose also. Once you get even that figured out and the end look your after lets do it again.. Then we can give you specif options to look at with your available sources.. or even help recommend a source for you.. The suggestion to stick your nose in the Wide Format groups is a good one.. I'm on both and their are many their that do this.

              jimbo
              Thank you for the helpful responses and, from reading these, I have realised that I didn't make myself particularly clear from the outset, for which I give my apologies.

              My post has clearly been interpreted as me wishing to print my own panoramas when in fact I was looking for advice as to the specification for a printed output which I could take to a professional priner. Any advice relating to what type of printing specification others might suggest or recommend was what I was looking for.

              Many thanks,
              Angus

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Dicere" <dicereabdere@...> wrote:

              > If you want to print your own panos I would recommend you first join one of the Yahoo wide format printing groups (like EpsonWideFormat@yahoogroups.com or WideFormatInkJet@yahoogroups.com among others) and start reading about the problems the professionals have. Then if you still want to print your own, expect to invest something in 5 figures for hardware, paper, ink, maybe more for an additional room on your house, and several months to climb the learning curve to get professional looking prints. It might be worth it if you like it and can find a market for your work, but for a one off job maybe finding a local pro printer to work with would be a better choice.
              >
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Angus Mackie" <angus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I wonder if anyone might be able to assist me please. I have just been
              > > approached by a new client looking to commission me for a hilltop panorama
              > > to be printed at large size and framed. I am in the process of determining
              > > what size, mount and frame he is looking for but as printing panoramas is
              > > new territory for me, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about
              > > the best medium to use? What I do know is that the printed output needs to
              > > be of a very high standard and quality.
              > >

              > > My client has asked for the panorama to be shot next Spring / Summer when
              > > the days are longer, clearer and hopefully brighter than at present!
              > >

              > > If anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom, I would be very
              > > appreciative.
              > >

              > > Many thanks,
              > >
              > > Angus
              > >

              > > Angus Mackie