Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Image Stacks in Photoshop CS3

  • Roger Howard
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
      On Fri, December 29, 2006 9:57 am, Roger Howard wrote:
      > On Fri, December 29, 2006 9:34 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
      >> There are some scripts in the plugins folder, but when I loaded the
      >> Image Stack scripts and selected four tiffs with alpha masks, the
      >> output from PTGui, CS3 crashed! What beta version are you running?
      >
      > Well I haven't tested with any TIFFs with alpha as that's not relevant to
      > the stacking process I outlined... so maybe that's it?

      I uploaded some sample files to the wiki:

      http://wiki.panotools.org/Image_Stacking

      So you can try these and see if it works. Then you know it may just be
      your source files or something else...

      Also, note this is an extreme example; in many cases you don't need to
      shoot nearly as many shots, but it does show how if you're working from a
      tripod, and really need an unobstructed view, and are willing to take some
      extra shots, it can be extremely easy to remove moving objects from your
      frames using only Photoshop.
    • tflyfish2002
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
        I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
        never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
        the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
        doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.
        This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
        were made of the same scene could it not?

        Bazzer
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Howard" <rogerhoward@...>

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
          On Fri, December 29, 2006 11:40 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
          > I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
          > never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
          > the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
          > doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.

          Yes, this is not part of blending at all. This is something new...

          > This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
          > were made of the same scene could it not?

          That's exactly the point :)

          In a nutshell, using a Media filter on Image Stacks in CS3 allows a
          photographer to remove unwanted people, moving cars, and other unwanted
          moving objects, from their photography. Need to shoot a lobby of an office
          building on a business day but want it to look empty, yet can't get
          permission to rope the lobby off even for 10 minutes? Want to shoot a
          panorama of the abandoned NYC Times Square after the apocalypse and can't
          afford NYC's daily rate for blocking off the square? Use a tripod? Don't
          mind shooting a few dozen extra frames if that's what it takes?

          This came up for me after a discussion about Image Stacks in CS3, where
          most people were focusing on the technical applications - noise removal
          primarily. I just got back from a vacation in Mexico where the majority of
          the panoramas I wanted to shoot were mucked up by tons of tourists. Had I
          noticed this feature a few weeks earlier I would have brought my tripod
          and taken the extra shots on at least two occassions to get the panos,
          minus the tourists!
        • tflyfish2002
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
            With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
            indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
            local bridge here in Redding. Now, how do I load the script that
            resides in the plugins folder:)

            wrote:

            > On Fri, December 29, 2006 11:40 am, tflyfish2002 wrote:
            > > I can only see the thumbnail jpg and not the file for the images, but
            > > never mind, I am still trying to get the layer blending to work around
            > > the 360 degree mark! I perhaps wrongly assumed that this script was
            > > doing much the same thing, now I see from your example it's different.
            >
            > Yes, this is not part of blending at all. This is something new...
            >
            > > This script could be used prior to stitching if multiple exposures
            > > were made of the same scene could it not?
            >
            > That's exactly the point :)
            >
            > In a nutshell, using a Media filter on Image Stacks in CS3 allows a
            > photographer to remove unwanted people, moving cars, and other unwanted
            > moving objects, from their photography. Need to shoot a lobby of an
            office
            > building on a business day but want it to look empty, yet can't get
            > permission to rope the lobby off even for 10 minutes? Want to shoot a
            > panorama of the abandoned NYC Times Square after the apocalypse and
            can't
            > afford NYC's daily rate for blocking off the square? Use a tripod? Don't
            > mind shooting a few dozen extra frames if that's what it takes?
            >
            > This came up for me after a discussion about Image Stacks in CS3, where
            > most people were focusing on the technical applications - noise removal
            > primarily. I just got back from a vacation in Mexico where the
            majority of
            > the panoramas I wanted to shoot were mucked up by tons of tourists.
            Had I
            > noticed this feature a few weeks earlier I would have brought my tripod
            > and taken the extra shots on at least two occassions to get the panos,
            > minus the tourists!

          • Roger Howard
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
              On Fri, December 29, 2006 1:28 pm, tflyfish2002 wrote:
              > With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
              > indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
              > local bridge here in Redding.

              Well that's exactly the point! Well that and the fact that it's now easy
              to perform the image processing in Photoshop - Adobe always seemed to
              ignore true stacking for layers, which are a completely different thing.
              Besides astronomy imaging software I only knew of a few other packages
              that could do something like this reasonably easy. The reason I'm excited
              isn't so much that this is groundbreaking, but the fact that we can do it
              in Photoshop now opens the technique up to a lot more people.

              Now the actual amount of delay you need, and the number of shots you need,
              depends on a few factors - the density of moving subjects in the scene,
              how fast they move, etc... but as you can see with my example of the
              freeway, even with a ton of cars, I managed to capture more than enough
              frames in only a few seconds. I wouldn't call it time lapse, per se, as to
              me that suggests a longer term - in this case we're trying to capture as
              many frames, as quickly as possible, especially so we can avoid any
              lighting changes.

              I'm going to go shoot a full pano this way in an hour...
            • Andrey Ilyin
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                Roger,

                Could you please to upload script file to the Files section?

                I prefer to shoot panos with 'action', but it would be nice to have a
                tool like this when necessary.

                Cheers,
                Andrey
              • tflyfish2002
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                  Assuming that you have already downloaded CS3 you will find the
                  scripts in the "Plug-Ins' folder.

                  Bazzer--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrey Ilyin" <andrey@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Roger,
                  >
                  > Could you please to upload script file to the Files section?
                  >
                  > I prefer to shoot panos with 'action', but it would be nice to have a
                  > tool like this when necessary.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Andrey

                • Andrey Ilyin
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006

                    > Assuming that you have already downloaded CS3 you will find the
                    > scripts in the "Plug-Ins' folder.

                    I was checking there already.
                    There are no scripts in this folder.
                  • tflyfish2002
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                      Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                      Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                      there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                      might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                      appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                      yours might be earlier than others.

                    • rogerhoward@rogerroger.org
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                        On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:26 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:

                        > Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                        > Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                        > there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                        > might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                        > appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                        > yours might be earlier than others.

                        There's only one public beta of CS3 and from what I understand
                        that'll be the only version until the release some months from now. I
                        have access to the *private* betas which are updated frequently. So
                        no, there *aren't* other betas floating around, at least not
                        legitimately - there's the Public Beta which everyone has access to,
                        and then the ongoing private builds which will not be available to
                        the public.

                        I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                        still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                        me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.

                        Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                        there a "Stack Mode" submenu?

                        As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                        if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                        script won't do much good anyway.
                      • tflyfish2002
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                          Yes, there is a Stack Mode sub menu. I am going to give it a try in
                          my house very shortly. I am still playing with the layer blending at
                          the moment!

                          Baz

                          -- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

                          > On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:26 PM, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                          >
                          > > Really sorry, but I was pointing you in the wrong direction. The
                          > > Script folder is in the Preset Folder. There are several of them
                          > > there, but I don't know what they all do. If you can't find them you
                          > > might try doing a search on *.js files in the PhotoshopCS3 folder. It
                          > > appears that there is more than one beta version of CS3 out and about,
                          > > yours might be earlier than others.
                          >
                          > There's only one public beta of CS3 and from what I understand
                          > that'll be the only version until the release some months from now. I
                          > have access to the *private* betas which are updated frequently. So
                          > no, there *aren't* other betas floating around, at least not
                          > legitimately - there's the Public Beta which everyone has access to,
                          > and then the ongoing private builds which will not be available to
                          > the public.
                          >
                          > I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                          > still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                          > me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.
                          >
                          > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                          > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?
                          >
                          > As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                          > if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                          > script won't do much good anyway.

                        • Jim Watters
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                            Roger Howard wrote:
                            > On Fri, December 29, 2006 1:28 pm, tflyfish2002 wrote:
                            >
                            >> With a time delay between shots, ie time lapse photography, you could
                            >> indeed shoot a empty Times Square, I have been trying to do this on a
                            >> local bridge here in Redding.

                            This talk made me think of this classic short web film
                            http://www.405themovie.com/Home.asp
                            see the making of:
                            http://www.405themovie.com/makingof04.asp

                            --
                            Jim Watters

                            Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy
                            jwatters @ photocreations . ca
                            http://photocreations.ca
                          • robert_harshman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                              > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                              > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?

                              The script is included with my public beta, seems to work I guess as
                              it does create a single layer smart object. Can't really tell if it's a
                              stack or not, but the Layers/SmartObject/Stackmode command is still
                              grey. :(

                              Guess it's not in the public beta?

                              Regards,

                              Robert Harshman
                            • Ian
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 29, 2006
                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, rogerhoward@... wrote:

                                > I thought the Image Stacks feature was in the public beta, and am
                                > still hoping someone can confirm for me clearly - if you can contact
                                > me live on AIM or Skype we can figure this out.
                                >
                                > Quick question - if you go to the Layer > Smart Objects menu, is
                                > there a "Stack Mode" submenu?
                                >
                                > As for the script, I can't distribute it if Adobe isn't already, and
                                > if the functionality isn't *in* the Public Beta then me providing the
                                > script won't do much good anyway.

                                On the OS X public beta, the path to the file is /Applications/CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3/
                                Presets/Scripts/Load Files into Stack.jsx and it works as it should, building a new smart
                                object from the selected files.

                                The Stack Mode submenu is there, but is always grayed out, even when the object is
                                selected in the layers palette, so it looks to me like it's one of the functions that hasn't
                                been implemented fully in the public beta version. :-(

                                Anyway, I'm off to bed as it's coming up to 3am here...

                                Ian
                              • michel thoby
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 30, 2006

                                  Le 30 déc. 06 à 03:40, Ian a écrit :

                                  > On the OS X public beta, the path to the file is /Applications/CS3/
                                  > Adobe Photoshop CS3/
                                  > Presets/Scripts/Load Files into Stack.jsx and it works as it
                                  > should, building a new smart
                                  > object from the selected files.
                                  >
                                  > The Stack Mode submenu is there, but is always grayed out, even
                                  > when the object is
                                  > selected in the layers palette, so it looks to me like it's one of
                                  > the functions that hasn't
                                  > been implemented fully in the public beta version. :-(
                                  >
                                  > Anyway, I'm off to bed as it's coming up to 3am here...
                                  >
                                  > Ian

                                  I confirm exactly the same observation here on Mac OS X.

                                  A spotlight search for "Median" yields a math filter function
                                  (psmedian) JavaScript that is buried in the esoteric CS3
                                  documentation and apparently only available to joint Matlab/PS CS3
                                  programs users and probably referring to another purpose ( i.e.
                                  median noise);-(

                                  Michel

                                • pedro_silva58
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 30, 2006
                                    roger,
                                    thanx for the heads up! now, i'd like to see something that works
                                    with bracketed exposures too... (ie, take, say, 5 bracketed exposures
                                    while people are moving, and get an hdr image with the people removed)
                                    cheers,
                                    pedro