Re: Curse you, Facebook!

  • yuval_levy
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 7, 2012
      a bit late to the game...

      > > can you give me an example URL?
      > >
      > > I was to search the facebook pano group for the word "mill".
      >
      > http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/search/?query=mill

      Requires me to log in. I don't like walled garden. I don't like to log in (or create an account, for that matter) just to read. The same way I do not like to create an account in a shop before putting things in the shopping cart. Yahoo only requires me to log in when I actually post. Who owns the contents? Who places restrictions on it?

      If you want to restrict access to information, keep on posting inside walled garden.

      Most other arguments in the Facebook debate are just opinions. You may agree with my opinion or not, this is not the place to debate them.

      Yuv (happy without FB)
    • Thomas
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 19, 2012
        My 2 cents is that neither Yahoo, nor FB, nor Google Groups, nor Google+, is an ideal way for a bunch of tekkies to communicate, but all are useful and should be used. My biggest gripe is that they all are bad at archiving and search -- Google a lot less so than Yahoo, naturally, and FB the worst. Posting something on FB is like throwing it out the window, but onto a very busy and interesting street. I feel you rally get your 15 minutes of fame there, but no historical presence.

        As for evilness, that is ever present everywhere. But it will only damage your health if you spend too much emotional energy fretting about it. We can always take our chats elsewhere when it gets too bad here. The monopolists don't give a hoot about pano chatter so in that area we and they are mutually disposable.

        Peace.