Re: Curse you, Facebook!

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 1, 2012
      If Ken was really worried about his own privacy, he wouldn't be online at all.

      As it is, without him being on Facebook, you can search on his email address, find out that he is a retired computer programmer living in a US ski town, likes skiing, biking, digital photography, and bitching about local development, you can even get hold of a scan showing his street address and signature.

      As he already admitted, he is just trolling to provoke a response.

      Living in a US ski town, and having lived in the US through his life, being into skiing/biking/digital photography, he is just as much a cog in the great consumer culture as anyone else, he is kidding himself if he thinks otherwise.

      But from reading his online bitching about development in his home ski town, I really think that his hatred of Facebook is somewhat serious, and that he is just a cranky retired old fool, just wanting to have a whinge.

      It is the haters like Ken, hating on whatever is popular to hate on at the time, that make much more noise about the things they hate than the fanboys ever do.

      Troll on Ken, you grumpy old prick!

      Simon
      Canberra
      AUSTRALIA
    • Thomas
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 19, 2012
        My 2 cents is that neither Yahoo, nor FB, nor Google Groups, nor Google+, is an ideal way for a bunch of tekkies to communicate, but all are useful and should be used. My biggest gripe is that they all are bad at archiving and search -- Google a lot less so than Yahoo, naturally, and FB the worst. Posting something on FB is like throwing it out the window, but onto a very busy and interesting street. I feel you rally get your 15 minutes of fame there, but no historical presence.

        As for evilness, that is ever present everywhere. But it will only damage your health if you spend too much emotional energy fretting about it. We can always take our chats elsewhere when it gets too bad here. The monopolists don't give a hoot about pano chatter so in that area we and they are mutually disposable.

        Peace.