Re: Curse you, Facebook!

  • Sam Rohn
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 1, 2012
      christian, luca, you guys are always welcome aboard, i'm sure this all seems very invasion of the body snatchers at this point, but in reality, fb is just another website, only diff between facebook and yahoo is that fb is a smarter company, yahoo sells your data too btw - but if common sense about privacy online is applied you should not be replaced by an alien doppelgänger or anything like that ;)

      otherwise, facebook pano group is just another place for those who wish to yak about panoramas, see old friends, meet new photographers, see new work, new ideas, socialize, etc, as well as promoting one's own work to as broad as possible an audience which facebook is pretty essential for at this point in time, for those interested such things

      http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/

      and yes, there is a cost (welcome to planet earth), you give them info about yourself, they give you an audience, i find trading a little privacy for lots of publicity a good deal, i think as far as marketing demographics go i'm just some sort of odd glitch and they have no idea of what to make of me judging by the ads i see on fb, but i'm always interested in how such things work anyway, and it is definitely working on my end self-marketing wise :)

      if others find fb is not your cup of tea, no need to make a fuss about it, just ignore it

      getting bent out of shape about facebook being where everyone else is going these days is silly, either come along or don't complain about not wanting to go, basically boils down to another pointless platform war, juvenile trolling, etc

      but for some reason we really do not get too much of that kind of behavior on the fb pano group, sometimes i think that fb's reputation as a cia plot is a good thing, keeps the trolls & real crazies away ;)

      sam

      - - - - -
      Sam Rohn :: New York City
      Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
      Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "giant_klobasa_monster" <panoramas@...> wrote:

      > ayrton is right.
      >
      > the idea that facebook is somehow more evil than yahoo groups, or any other faceless corporation storing your data, is more paranoia than anything else,
      >
      > it is a tool like any other. it is not some mysterious monster that is going to get the CIA looking through your windows. join with a fake name, don't post any personal stuff. what is the problem?
      >
      > if you tinfoil hat people are really worried about your privacy, you should stop using a credit card, and definitely don't get any insurance of any kind. Those folks know far more about you than facebook ever will.

      > This list is dying.
      >
      > To anybody subscribing to both methods of communication, I would like to remind you that this list is awesome and its searchable back-history has helped many times to find a hint that someone dropped years earlier. What you say on Facebook may be more immediate, but it is inherently non-permanent and quickly disappears in the digital ether.
      >
      > Just saying…
      > Blochi

    • Thomas
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 19, 2012
        My 2 cents is that neither Yahoo, nor FB, nor Google Groups, nor Google+, is an ideal way for a bunch of tekkies to communicate, but all are useful and should be used. My biggest gripe is that they all are bad at archiving and search -- Google a lot less so than Yahoo, naturally, and FB the worst. Posting something on FB is like throwing it out the window, but onto a very busy and interesting street. I feel you rally get your 15 minutes of fame there, but no historical presence.

        As for evilness, that is ever present everywhere. But it will only damage your health if you spend too much emotional energy fretting about it. We can always take our chats elsewhere when it gets too bad here. The monopolists don't give a hoot about pano chatter so in that area we and they are mutually disposable.

        Peace.