Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Curse you, Facebook!

  • Isaac Garcia
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 30, 2012
      Trausti,

      "It is the essence of all things useless and worthless." That should be made into one of the aforementioned feel-goodie pictures with some happy quotes ;)

      Cheers.

      On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

      Currently 1452 RELEVANT members in the http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/ group.

      Personally I jumped into it all with no parachute, and soon it became WAY too messy, time consuming, twatty and useless for the most part.  But the Panorama dedicated group is one constant for me to read and check.  Private family/friends contacts I have pretty much removed entirely from the "news stream", so I am not bothered by the daily weather reports from someone who has little else to say, or having thousands of "feel-goodie" pictures with some happy quotes or "funny pictures" etc. drowning my time.

      Pretty much everything can be adjusted and set up for your needs... but some of the settings and options are tricky to find and apply... Some things can not be removed entirely (as far as I can tell)... but a mental block can help on that front too.

      The group is alive and vibrant.  Lots of info and examples.  Not everyone will like it, some people just don't fit into the framework, and there is nothing wrong about that.  Such is life and we are all different individuals when it comes down to the basics, so there will always be those who love, like, don't like and hate whatever thing there is.

      In my case, I have found a relative balance in things, and it fits my needs... and on the other hand, I absolutely can't stand FB.  It is the essence of all things useless and worthless.

      Hating it, but finding it useful when set up in the "right way".

      Trausti

      --
      Isaac García

      http://www.fotogaceta.com
      http://www.coletassoft.com
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
      http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
      http://twitter.com/coletassoft

      JFGI | RTFM
    • Thomas
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 19, 2012
        My 2 cents is that neither Yahoo, nor FB, nor Google Groups, nor Google+, is an ideal way for a bunch of tekkies to communicate, but all are useful and should be used. My biggest gripe is that they all are bad at archiving and search -- Google a lot less so than Yahoo, naturally, and FB the worst. Posting something on FB is like throwing it out the window, but onto a very busy and interesting street. I feel you rally get your 15 minutes of fame there, but no historical presence.

        As for evilness, that is ever present everywhere. But it will only damage your health if you spend too much emotional energy fretting about it. We can always take our chats elsewhere when it gets too bad here. The monopolists don't give a hoot about pano chatter so in that area we and they are mutually disposable.

        Peace.