Re: GoPro Hero 3

  • Aldo Hoeben
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
      > About rolling shutter for video with the Gopro Hero3. I dont
      > think it has changed. With the 4k video mode they suggest you
      > use a tripod so maybe it is even worse with 4k.

      Since the rolling shutter effect is directly related to how long it takes to read all the lines of the sensor, it is a fair assumption* that the 4k mode, at 15 fps, will suffer a lot more from it than the 720p mode at 120 fps. The faster framerate modes of the Black edition (eg 1080p at 60fps vs 30fps) will almost certainly* help to reduce the rolling shutter effect.

      *: the fps is limited by two factors: sensor readout, and further processing (compressing, writing). Only the sensor readout affects the rolling shutter effect.
    • Aldo Hoeben
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 24, 2012
        > Gopro have put the manual online for the Hero3 now
        > http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HD3_UM_Black_ENG_FINAL_Web.pdf

        Interesting but disappointing tidbit about ProTune mode (with logarithmic image curve) and whitebalance control:

        "PROTUNE uses AUTO White Balance and will override any
        non-AUTO White Balance setting."
      • panovrx
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2012
          I tested Wifi Remote started timelapse sequences last night and found the sync was excellent for 1500 frames at 1 fps with my Hero2s. Good news for streetview type applications for multiple Gopros. Pity about Protune not having color setting options though as both dynamic range and settable color are critical for good panoramas..

          PeterM

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2012
            Benoit of Stereoscopy News reports good Wifi Remote syncing of Hero 3 videos
            http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/3dtv/message/32130
            -- if this applies to more than 2 cameras then 15 fps 8000*4000 surround videos with 5 Hero 3s may be possible!

            PeterM